Meeting college recruiters at the PICU fair

Lance Lagoni

Loyola university recruiter engages student in discussion of Loyola University’s benefits.

Breyana Perry, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, March 6, at Elgin Community College, a “private Illinois colleges and university” (PICU) fair was held in the hallway by Building B, right near the cafeteria, where 39 representatives from the schools came to discuss transfer options with ECC students.

Dawn Brown, a college representative of National Louis University, travels to many different colleges to meet with students to discuss the choices they would have at NLU. So, what is it like being a traveling recruiter for National Louis University? 

“Every day’s different,” Brown said. “I get to meet all different types of students from community colleges, and no two schools are ever the same.”

For Mike Usher, being a college recruiter for Loyola University of Chicago, is something he enjoys doing. For the past six years, he’s been helping transfer students meet their academic goals. One way he makes his school standout compared to other private universities is by educating himself on all of the different programs that Loyola has to offer.

“We have transfer orientation that helps get [students] comfortable because we don’t see them as transfer students,” Usher said. “We see them as Loyola family.”

Kyle Einck from Northwestern University School of Professional Studies mentions how his college appeals more to students for their financial aid, scholarships and the flexibility they offer students.

“[SPS] is great and also designed to help students be successful with their dreams and goals,” Einck said. “Working with students and building relationships with them means a lot to us. Being a part of Northwestern has the name speaking for itself, and it’s in a positive light.”

Sean Jensen, the ECC Director of Transfer Services, provided insight into the cost difference between community colleges and private schools.

“Connect with the [Office of] Financial Aid both at ECC and your preferred transfer institution to learn about scholarship and grant options,” Jensen said. “Don’t rule out your dream transfer school, public or private, before you have all your data. You may find you qualify for scholarships you were unaware of that might put your dream school within reach.”

Going from a community college to a private university can be a huge change in tuition, and for many students, that’s something important to consider when continuing their educational path.

For those thinking about transferring to a private Illinois college or university, a scholarship to consider applying for is the PICU scholarship. The PICU will grant a minimum of seven scholarships each year – three $1,000 and four $500 awards – to community college transfer students looking to achieve their educational goals at one of their member institutions.