The Inspiring Women of ECC

Lisa Lilianstrom, Staff Photographer

On March 31, which was the last day of Women’s History Month, the women of ECC came together for the annual Inspiring Women’s Tea. Women from all walks of life were there, to find out who nominated them as an inspiring woman.

It was a good turnout for the tea even women who weren’t nominated attended to show support for their friends. And while she wasn’t nominated student Nicolle Omiotek attended and shared who inspired her to help achieve one of her goals and she choose Paul Stamets.

“Paul Stamets inspires me to help restore the ecosystems that have been destroyed by our industrial capitalist culture and economy,”said Omiotek.

When asked who inspires student Eliana Penafiel, she chose Mother Teresa because of her compassion for others.

“She only saw the good things in people, she has been an outstanding example of what true selfless service is,”said Penafiel.

Guests enjoyed tea and sweets and time to socialize. The event kicked off with a few student speakers. Some took the nomination as a hint that she made a difference.

“Somebody saw something that I did, they thought it was influential, and I took it as a sign to keep doing what I am doing,” said student Kristen Corocan.

The event ended with each nominee getting a rose and a letter saying who nominated them.

Being an inspiring woman is considered an honor to some, and the fact that someone finds them inspiring makes them happy.

“Its absolutely beautiful, I love people and the fact that someone finds me inspiring is fantastic” said Perez.

The women’s tea has gone on every year at ECC and continues to be a popular event, with people continuing to nominate inspiring women and celebrate their accomplishments and why they inspire that person.

“I feel very honored to receive that nomination, it makes me feel happy to know that my work doesn’t go unnoticed and that people appreciate it,” said Penafiel.