CoffeeHouse: Know About It

Stephanie Andrade, Staff Writer

Every so often, writers from all kinds of backgrounds gather around to share their writings and enjoy coffee. The voices of the writers take us to the deepest parts of our imagination. The variations of poetry, fiction, tragedy, satire and drama fill the creative air leaving you inspired.

The Coffee Houses are an English department event. They are ran by Rachael Stewart and they are held at Elgin Community College in the Heritage room. The Coffee House has been going on for more than 10 years.

“The purpose is to provide students and community members a chance to interact and share their work,” said Stewart.

There are many benefits for all types of writers, whether they be aspiring writers or writers who write as a hobby, to go to this event or any event like this one, to share their stories and receive feedback.

“Most writers benefit from having other writers around them to commiserate and encourage them to keep writing,” said Stewart. “Writing is such a solitary activity, and writers never know whether a story or an essay or a poem is working until they see how others respond to it. Coffee House gives writers a place to test and refine their work.”

Patrick Bernhard, an ECC student who recently attained a degree in Creative Writing, finds coming to the Coffee Houses as a good way to practice sharing his stories and reading out loud.

“One of the benefits of reading out loud is to see [the audience] reaction to [his writing],” said Bernhard.

Alex Cook, a Coffee House attendee “We all feel a certain way. What I feel from coming [to the event] and sharing and hearing, also getting feedback helps me grow, emotionally and in my writing.”

“I would strongly encourage anyone who is interested in reading and writing to attend a Coffee House. No one is required to read, and some only come to listen,” said Stewart. “We have some wonderful creative work being done in our community, representing a wide range of styles, genres, and interests. If you are a writer, you will find an eager and attentive audience.”

Anyone is invited to the Coffee House. You don’t need to be enrolled in an english class or even attend ECC!

You can also just show up and listen to other people read their pieces. You can also bring any piece you’ve been working on and share it with the group. The event is open to the public, for faculty and students, alike, to bring a friend or a family member.