PTK Helps Students See Full Potenial

When Phi Theta Kappa vice president, Jessica San Juan Perez, was in high school, she thought that community college was for students with no success, and that she would have to go to a four year university in order to have a successful career. That stigma changed when Perez joined Phi Theta Kappa. She then understood that community colleges are just as valuable as four year universities. Now, Perez is looking to help high school students see the value that Elgin Community College has for them.

Phi Theta Kappa started the college project Engage, Connect and Conquer; focusing on what the college needs to improve on. This year it is about the fact that ECC does not have enough enrollment from high schools. It has been said that high schools do not have information on community colleges and the fact that there is a negative stigma surrounding community colleges.

Perez says that the main goal is to make high schools aware of ECC and let them know that four year universities are not the only option.

“I hope that high school students find a connection with Phi Theta Kappa members, so that they feel welcome at Elgin Community College and become motivated to do in school,” said Perez.

Engage, Connect and Conquer has encouraged others who were not involved in high school to get involved at ECC.

“I feel like it’s a good change from how it was in high school,” said second-year student, Ronald Manuel.

Part of Engage, Connect and Conquer is ‘Social Tuesdays’ which will take place every other Tuesday. ‘Social Tuesdays’ have different activities for every event. Perez notes the events will be similar to last years Zero Pro, but with a twist; instead of first-year students having only one mentor, they will be building relationships with more than one person.

“The more connections that we have as a person the better, I encourage first semester students to get involved, and students who have been at ECC longer, because many students can use their experience and knowledge to keep growing as a leader,” said Perez

One of the main goals of Engage, Connect and Conquer is to let high school students know that there is help available if they need it.

“I believe that if students need help it should be available to them, if they have questions then they should get answers,” said PTK vice president chair, Magda Nicolas.

Perez says there are plans to visit various high schools through out the year. While the exact number is not yet set-in-stone, Perez has hopes to visit more high schools.

“If we get the opportunity to visit four high schools or more,  I would be blessed to have had the opportunity to start a movement like Engage, Connect and Conquer,” said Perez.

Perez hopes this will be an opportunity not just for new students, but for Phi Theta Kappa, as well. PTK members strive to influence ongoing education to others, and help members grow as leaders.

“Phi Theta Kappa members will gain recruitment experience and develop elevator speeches that will help them in the long run,” says Perez.