Locker Room Policy Sparks Debate at School District U-46

Recently school district U-46, the second largest school district in Illinois,  has allowed a transgender student to use the locker room of the gender they identify with. On Sept. 12, there was a Board of Education meeting where dozens of people came to say how they feel about the decision. Some were supportive of the decision, and others were opposed to the decision.

Attendees included parents, high school students, residents from outside districts, Elgin Community College students and several others. Opponents of the decision brought up religion, science and worries about their children being assaulted.

“People still aren’t informed about what it means to be transgender. The people against the board’s decision feel like anyone who is the opposite gender can just waltz in to any bathroom they’re most comfortable in, but that’s not how it works,” said ECC student Jessie Segura.

It started when board member Jeanette Ward made her concern public on Facebook about not informing the parents about the decision. The district has previously allowed transgender students to change in the locker room of their choice when other students were not present. Ward believed that everyone’s right to free speech should be honored which is why Ward then decided to make her voice heard. Ward then thanked all her supporters as well as those who did not agree with her.

“This isn’t about me, it’s about ideas. What is good for students? We disagree profoundly on both sides, but I’m glad that we had this conversation.” said Ward.

U-46 CEO Tony Sanders defended the decision to not tell the parents.

“Doing so would be a violation of state and federal laws that protect students from the release of personal information,” said Sanders via Facebook.

Director of School and Community Relations Mary Fergus said that disclosing such information would be a violation of the Privacy Act in place.

“We did not notify families at the students school, because we did not secure the students or parents permission to do so. If we provide such information then we would be violating the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and Illinois student records act,” said Fergus.

Those students who were not comfortable with the decision were given an alternative changing location. There has also been conversations with staff at the site.

“I think the decision we made to provide access to this individual student was the right one. Having adult supervision in our locker rooms has always been the norm,” said Sanders.

While the decision was met with much support, there were some opponents as well. Including Hanover Park resident Brock Friedman who commented that the district stepped itself in bad fashion.

“The policy was created in secrecy, the district has acted in bad faith and tarnished its good name, if they really cared about everyone’s well being the issue would have been out in the open for public comment,” said Friedman during the open comment portion of the meeting.

The decision has also been met with some support from ECC students. Student Avery Harmon, who also with Segura is a member of the ECC club Students Who are Not Silent, said that its great that those students can be taught that there are people that appreciate them.

“I know what its like to feel erased, to be told that I don’t exist, so I am glad that the people who taught me respect and self love, can be respected and shown that they are cared for in their home district of U-46.” said Harmon.

While most students there were supportive, some students came to Wards defense, stating their reasons for being against the change. Elgin resident Christina Corle wanted to be a voice for the younger generation.

“If a man chooses to believe that he is a woman I believe that is wrong but I can’t control what that man thinks. I, however, can refuse to let him dictate my future and the futures of my children.” said Corle.

Some attendees thought that, those making a fuss about the decision, was rather “silly”.

“Its not like we haven’t shared a bathroom with a Transgender person already, we probably all did but we would have never known.” said one attendee.

Ward later on defended her decision to go public on Facebook, saying that parents have the right to know.

“They (the experts) did not recommended notifying the parents about it, and at this time there would be no communication to parents because it violates the privacy act and I replied that wasn’t acceptable,” said Ward.

Opponents and supporters alike all made their voices heard. Segura feels that with more education on LGBTQ both students and parents can be more aware of what they go through.

“If we bring that to U-46 schools then it will make people in the community more aware of what it means to be LGBTQ.” said Segura.