Encouraging Words from Students about Black Lives Matter

Brenda Alcantar, Staff Writer

The issue of racism still exists in this present day, and with the Black Lives Matter movement going on, it can be the icing on the cake.

Students are protesting and getting the word out and have some words of encouragement for others.

It appears that students have a positive relationship with police officers according to Elgin Community College Chief Police, Emad Eassa

“Absolutely, I personally like walking through the halls interacting with the students,” said Eassa.

ECC’s ranking as a safe school went up in 2015 to 46 from 79 out of 450 colleges and universities nationally. The training hours for newly hired police officers in Illinois is 480 hours and has been going up to ensure officers get proper training.

The officers train on different scenarios that could occur on campus. Training times are also recorded to ensure that everyone is trained properly.

“None of the officers have had to draw their weapon out of their holster. That shows a level of restrain and training,” said Eassa.“We are here to support the community and that’s what we pride ourselves in doing.”

Kevin Grahm, 33, graduated from ECC in May of 2016.

“Being African American, I can relate to Black Lives Matter, and have been discriminated,” said Grahm.

Grahm has previously shared videos about protests and the Black Lives Matter movement.

“Protests are not effective. If the government doesn’t change then the violence doesn’t,” said Grahm. “We have to start with ourselves first and then we can start changing others and situations around us.”

Jackie Stepnowki, 20, is a second-year student at ECC and has known someone who has also been discriminated for the color of their skin.

“African American people are targeted for their skin color and are trying to raise awareness but sometimes, some people…instead of doing it peacefully…they do it violently and at the end there is no solution,” said Stepnowki.

Stepnowki, too, has protested on social media, in hopes of bringing people closer. She and Grahm share the similar belief that protests regarding the movement are not effective.

“Media wants to promote riots and portray people in a stereotypical manner. I think cop tactics should change, like officers should carry body cameras and if the officers turn the cameras off, they should be punished in some way,” said Stepnowki.