Students’ day-to-day lives changed in quarantine

Allison Formeller

Student works on homework from the comfort of her home.

Allison Formeller, Managing Editor

Since the coronavirus pandemic shutdown schools across the country, students’ everyday lives have been turned upside-down. 

For most students, the usual routine is to wake up, go to class and do homework. Some students find comfort or motivation in their schedules, as it gives them a sense of control. Now, due to the coronavirus pandemic and social distancing, students have lost that sense of control and uniformity in their routine.

“I would leave my apartment, go to classes, and I wouldn’t actually come back [home] until all my classes were done,” said Logan Franz, a sophomore at the University of Missouri. “That was my day, classes and working… and other things in between.”

In only the past few weeks, students’ daily routines have changed completely, and now they are expected to complete most of their tasks online. 

“I feel very relaxed [with my schedule] most of the time, but when it comes to schoolwork, I feel lost because I have never been subject to online classes,” said second-year Elgin Community College student, Shaun Casey.

Adjusting to online classes comes with its own challenges – many that students don’t necessarily feel prepared to handle, especially when it comes to being distracted and unfocused.

“[I’ve been doing coursework] at my own pace… so, I’ve been working on things at my discretion,” Franz said. “But I’ve noticed that I’ve been more distracted… when it’s in person [your professors] can physically see you… and make that connection, but with online classes, that element is kind of taken away.”

Due to the sudden switch to online classes, many students feel stressed and unmotivated, even if they can complete their work as time permits.

“I have this intrinsic motivation that pushes me [to get work done], but it’s not always there,” Franz said. “I think the thing that motivates me the most is [deadlines].”

Being at home constantly, with nowhere else to go does not only present challenges regarding schoolwork to students. For many students, they are now at home with their families all day, and that itself can be an obstacle that students are not used to.

“Having my family around is tolerable, [and] it’s not so bad because my siblings are all doing [online] learning, as well,” Casey said.

For Franz, while he likes being at home, felt strange having to leave the University of Missouri a week before spring break and not getting the chance to return for the rest of the semester.

Even though the coronavirus has presented students with many obstacles as they navigate online schooling and adjusting to new routines, it has also provided some relief from those same routines.

“[My routine] has changed a lot, [now] I have way more time for my hobbies,” Casey said. 

Because students are now at home, with no commute to and from school, and many are unable to work, students are able to indulge in hobbies and interests that they possibly wouldn’t have previously had time for.

“I’ve been watching Netflix a lot these past couple days… just trying to keep myself entertained,” Franz said. “My day-to-day routine isn’t much different [from spending time on campus] in terms of the things I do, [so] it’s kind of the same thing but done differently.”

In general, due to the coronavirus, students have had their everyday lives completely change, due mostly to having to adjust to online school schedules so quickly. 

Regardless, even though students are feeling stressed and unmotivated during these changes, students have also experienced some positives, like getting to sleep in or having time to binge-watch Netflix.

“This [was] really unprecedented…It’s just a new reality for everyone,” said Franz.