ECC photography student headed to University of Illinois Chicago

Alejandro Santoyo, Staff Writer

Jennifer Lopez looks forward to what lies ahead. (Alejandro Santoyo)

To most people hobbies are not typically viewed as a potential career. That’s not the case for Elgin Community College student Jennifer Lopez.

Lopez has a long history with photography dating back to when she was a young girl. 

“My mom used to take a lot of photos when I was little and created a bunch of photo albums,” Lopez said.  “Being able to see the past always made me happy.” 

Lopez is in her final semester here at the ECC and is about graduate with an Associates in Arts. Doing so while working a full-time job.  

“Sometimes it was hard to balance school with work, especially with the homework,” Lopez said. “Luckily my job was able to be flexible with my schedule.” 

Happy to be back on campus for her final semester at ECC, Lopez is looking to end strong. She’s planning to transfer to the University of Illinois Chicago to get a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree. While getting that degree, Jennifer is planning to have a social media presence with her photography.

Whether it’s to showcase her landscape or contrast photography. Jennifer is getting one step closer to her goal of being a photographer. 

“I never thought it would be something I could pursue as a career, but I might as well since it [has] always been part of my life,” Lopez said.