ECC student from the projects works to build a better future

Maya Liquigan, Staff Writer

Have you had ever had to rush out of class to make it to work on time? The pressure of being a full-time student while working is familiar to a lot of students on-campus, including ECC Freshman Alyssa Zuno.

Zuno feels the full effects of a busy schedule while also managing the pressure from her past home environment. Zuno, 19, majors in Elementary Education and is constantly busy balancing her work life and future career. She never lets her past hold back her future.

“I didn’t come from Schaumburg or Streamwood or Bartlett. I came from the projects,” Zuno said. “I feel like it’s not outlined for students that come from that kind of environment can be something. When you’re there, you don’t feel like you have a future.”

Zuno used to be a painter. Although she always had a busy schedule growing up, constantly taking care of her younger siblings or helping her mom, she took the time to paint. She admitted that with her current schedule she rarely gets free time. Regardless, her colorful personality and passion for creating were prevalent when she spoke about her future career plans.

“I’ve been wanting to be an elementary teacher forever, it has just been my goal since I was very young,” Zuno said.

She reflected on past teachers who have inspired her to teach others and sparked her passion for educating. Zuno explained that she did not grow up in an easy household.  She went from living in houses infested with roaches and bats to being a full-time student with two jobs.

Zuno is a full-time student at ECC and also works two jobs that allow her to explore her passion for teaching and caregiving. For the past year, Zuno has tutored at Streamwood High School (SHS) and also maintains her position at a senior home called The Oaks. She does this all while keeping up with her classwork.

“My weekly schedule is very back-to-back, so I don’t have much downtime,” Zuno said. “Saturdays and Sundays I work at my senior home job. I usually work eight-hour shifts on weekends, so from six in the morning to three in the afternoon.”

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, Zuno tutors AVID classes at SHS from 7:30 am to 12:30 pm. She then attends a class on campus at ECC. After her class, she heads straight to work until 8 pm, and then goes home and starts her homework. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are spent on campus or working on homework, followed by the senior home and then back home to restart the cycle.

Zuno values the experience at her two jobs, saying how both of them have helped her future career. She said that although it is stressful to try and teach a class of high schoolers, she’s learned to be patient and how to encourage students to cooperate. At the senior home, Zuno has connected with the residents and learned how to care for them.

“Her name is Joyce,” Zuno said. “She’s so sweet. She had a husband that was there, and then he passed away. She was going through a rough time, and we would all help her out. One of the CNAs would do her makeup and stuff like that. She’s just the sweetest woman ever.”

Zuno works hard to make a path for her future. When explaining her background, she said that it used to be hard for her family financially. She would constantly be bounced from different apartments or have to stay at her grandma’s house until they were back on their feet. Growing up in the suburbs of Chicago was hard for Zuno, she reflected on the unsafe environment and gang activity she experienced, but she is proud to be where she is now.

“When you’re there, you don’t feel like you have a future,” Zuno said. “You’re just living every day, just trying to get by that day… The fact that I came from there and now I’m here gives hope for students. I know what it’s like to be in that position, and you can make it, but you just have to push.”

Zuno plans to attend the University of Illinois Chicago and major in elementary education. She wants to teach kids and pass on the lessons that she has learned throughout her life.