ASPIRE Celebrates First Generation Students During 1-G Week

Banner for the Aspire week that took place in the Jobe Lounge.

Lisa Lilianstrom, Staff writer

Before Catalina Restrepo came to Elgin Community College she was discouraged at the thought of going to a community college instead of a university right after high school. However as the years passed Restrepo joined ASPIRE, which is a club focusing on first generation college students, and would later become president of the club. Restrepo credits ASPIRE for helping her succeed at ECC.

“Before coming to ECC I was really discouraged by it. However, ECC became the best choice for my life,” said Restrepo.

1-G week focused on letting first generation students know that they have options at ECC. The week went on from Nov. 7-11.

Nov. 7, started the week with a kick off event, which consisted of a resource fair with different ECC departments talking to students, a few games, and free food.

Restrepo spoke at the 1-G week kick-off as the guest speaker, in which she shared some advice for the future and current first generation students, she focused on four key points in her speech, those points were, have a goal, be involved, be intentional and pursue knowledge.

“If you are undecided on a major then that’s okay, continue to be involved in organizations, and actively search for knowledge out there,” said Restrepo.

For ASPIRE informational officer Ismael Coredoughva finding help is key to success.

“There are places and people who can help you get everything you need ready for college, you just have to go out and look for the help,” said Coredoughva.

Nov. 8 consisted of an event called Wind of Chance Fundraiser, where people got to play mini golf for a chance to win various prizes, at least 30 people showed up to play the game.

Nov. 9 consisted of a social called Moving Mountains: 1G Connect, where students got to connect with each other, as well as advisers and teachers. They played games, ate food, and talked about their experiences being a first generation student.

Nov. 10 consisted of a dinner called Land of Opportunity: Business Etiquette Dinner, where students got the opportunity to learn career management techniques,

ASPIRE member Andre Milagrosa wished he knew that there was help available on campus for those who needed it.

“I wish I knew then the resources available on campus to me and how important it is to be in contact with your adviser,” said Milagrosa.

The main goal of the week was to help first generation students, not only academically but also socially.

“What excited me the most was a chance to not only help other 1G students nurture themselves academically and socially but also the opportunities that 1G week might present to me,” said Milagrosa.

Coredoughva wishes he knew about the AP classes offered, about scholarships, and about FASFA, how he helps others seek those things he wished he searched for at the start.

“I didn’t seek out help out of embarrassment so when school started, I was pretty much lost, so that’s why I try to promote people to go and search for the things they need help understanding,” said Coredoughva.

Restrepo hopes that people know that there is no set time to get your degree as long as you are committed to getting the degree.

“I wish I knew that getting my degree is not a race, then I probably would have stressed out a lot less, its okay if you don’t finish in four years as long as you are finishing it,” said Restrepo.