Leslie Goddard Brings Alice Paul To Life In Soup And Stories

Lisa Lilianstrom, Staff Writer

When some people think of women’s suffrage, most of them would think of Susan B. Anthony. However, there was also another woman who had a very important role in the Suffrage Movement and that was Alice Paul. Attendees got to learn her story through historian and actress Dr. Leslie Goddard.

On March 14, Goddard acted out Paul’s story while the attendees enjoyed some soup and bread.

“Alice Paul is really close to my heart because my doctoral dissertation was about the women’s suffrage movement, and how they were using theater things like picketing and parades so I studied her while I was doing my history degree,” Goddard said.

Paul was an American suffragist, feminist and women’s rights activist, and one of the main leaders and strategists of the 1910s campaign for the Nineteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which prohibits sex discrimination in the right to vote.  Paul strategically held events, such as the Woman Suffrage Procession and the Silent Sentinels, which were part of the successful campaign that resulted in its passage in 1920.

Prior to the event, there were students that weren’t familiar on who Alice Paul was.

“I had not heard of Alice Paul. Dr. Goddard said it best when she made the point that, ‘well behaved women seldom make history,’ but what do women’s rights activists like Alice Paul get? Not much more than those whom ‘behaved,” said student Alex DeLong.

Goddard acted out significant moments of Paul’s life, such as when they were all arrested on the picket line when they waited for that phone call from Tennessee to get the 19th amendment ratified on the U.S constitution.

Some enjoyed Goddards performance because she has been said to be a great role model for women.

“I think it was a powerful experience because it reinforced that women can and should use their voice for equality and to empower other women. Leslie is educational and entertaining,” said Student Life advisor Amybeth Maurer.

Goddard had been doing portrayals for 12 years and always had an interest in history ever since she was young.

“History museums were always where I wanted to go, and I got my PhD in History, and started working in museums, someone found I had a theater background too and they asked me to do a portrayal of a women, I started doing historical portrayals, and it later on became a full time job for me,” Goddard said.

Goddard had been acting as Paul for only two weeks, but has been able to share Paul’s story to students who have seen a different side to the suffrage movement.

“The fact that Dr. Goddard has been portraying this particular character for only two weeks speaks volumes about both her talents and her passion for women’s rights,” DeLong said.

Goddard shared some insight as to what Paul would say if she were alive today.

“If Alice Paul were to come back she would tell us all don’t be afraid to stand up for what you believe in. If you don’t stand for what you believe in then life’s no good. If you have beliefs but you don’t share them with others you don’t do anything for them you might as well not have them. You got to stand up for what you believe in,” Goddard said.