Handicap space location in parking lot B raises some eyebrows

Casey McCartin, Editor-in-Chief

The Elgin Community College Observer has been working to investigate any issues brought to our frustrations account, one regarding the location of the handicap spaces in the B parking lot. The email to our frustrations account reads:

I’m frustrated by a big headed junior college president that thinks his stuff don’t stink, puts himself ahead of handicapped individuals when it comes to parking. He has the closest 3 spaces to Bldg. A, when everyone with any decency at all knows they would be reserved for people with disabilities, not self important, feeding from the public trough, employees of the school.
I’ve checked the statutes, state and federal, and I believe the school is in violation of the disabilities act.
Before I make a formal complaint to the State, I’ll give you investigative reporters a chance to try to remedy the situation. If nothing else, where’s his common courtesy? Perhaps you could ask him.
Thank you for your time,
Scott Bollman.
By the way, I’m not handicapped, I’m an advocate.”

According to the Illinois attorney general there are several conditions that public buildings must adhere to regarding handicap spacing. Any facility that has parking for faculty and visitors must also have accessible handicap spacing. These handicap spaces must always be cleared of snow, ice and any other obstructions and must also have a striped handicap access space.

Ryan Calahan, superintendent of grounds at ECC, has said the college has never faced complaints about the location of the handicap spaces in the B parking lot.

“[ECC], in consultation with its construction consultants and contractors, follow the guidelines in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA),” Calahan said in an email. “Two percent of the overall parking [for the amount of parking spaces ECC provides]  has to be dedicated to handicapped parking.  ECC exceeds this amount currently.”

In the summer of 2016, ECC made repairs to the B parking lot and according to Calahan any renovations and repairs adhered to Illinois handicap laws.

“Yes, the college followed the guidelines recommended by its construction consultants and contractors as part of the renovation process. Each lot was inventoried after the project was complete to ensure that parking was available and close to an entrance,” Calahan said via email.

Calahan has also given some answers as to why the President of ECC, David Sam, has parking spaces so close to the building.

“Historically, the college has always had one parking space designated for the college president, as well as a few parking spaces for college guests, which were reduced from 3 to 2 guest spaces during the last renovation,” Calahan said in an email. “[ECC] is in compliance with city or handicap codes because we meet the number of handicapped parking spaces required on campus.”