ECC’s Engineering Club is up and running

Elgin Community College’s newly appointed Vice President, Enrique Nueve and President, Rebecca Rhymer. Photography by: Ismael Cordova

Ismael Cordova, Editor-in-Chief

Elgin Community College has a diverse group of organizations and clubs here on campus. From Phi Theta Kappa, Student Government, Black Student Achievers and Anime Club, if something sparks your interest, there is probably a club here for you. As of summer 2017, ECC has added another club to their lineup: ECC’s first Engineering Club.

President Rebecca Rhyner, a third-year student, states that there was a need for an Engineering Club at ECC.

“ECC doesn’t have an Engineering Program or Department. We created this group to help other students who are wanting an occupation in engineering to have an opportunity to gain prior knowledge before pursuing that occupation. For example, electrical engineers aren’t provided with a circuit course here at ECC. Hands-on projects would be essential to gaining more experience in that field,” said Rhyner.=

Rhyner is a graduate of McHenry West High School. Although she affiliated herself with high school club leaders, Rhyner was mostly involved with the high school cheerleading team.

“I felt like it wasn’t okay to be involved with science [as a girl],” said Rhyner, “It wasn’t until 2015 when I participated in a discovery course flying planes that I realized that I wanted to work to become a pilot.”

Rhyner further elaborated on the issue of decreasing numbers of young girls and women involving themselves in the science and mathematics occupational fields.

“Even now, men in my classes attempt to help me in cases that I may or may not actually need the help. Sometimes they say offensive statements regarding my gender but I learned to deal with it because sexism in that field will always be there. But I want to be the change that I want to see in the world,” said Rhyner.

Vice President Enrique Nueve comes from a different environment than partner Rebecca Rhyner. Nueve is a graduate of Dundee Crown High School. Since Dundee Crown was an underfunded, many of their school clubs weren’t geared towards academics.

“Honestly, it worked in my favor. Since we were an underfunded school, engineering companies opened up internships to Dundee Crown students. That’s where I got my first experience in engineering” said Nueve.

To start a club at ECC, a club must meet these requirements: secure at least three members, secure one ECC faculty or staff advisor, create a strategic plan, and meet with an adviser to pitch a club idea. After these requirements are met, Student Government approves or declines a club, thankfully this past summer, Engineering Club got their green light.

“At first, none of us knew each other. Bryan Macantangay, Treasurer of the ECC Engineering Club, and I first spoke about creating an Engineering Club. From there, Bryan started talking to other students and slowly we started creating what is now our Executive Board,” said Rhyner.

Treasurer Bryan Macantangay played a vital role into the creation of the group.

“Bryan and I have known each other since we were younger. After him coming to me and telling me about the Engineering Club, I got involved. I really wanted to get involved simply to bring more awareness and hopefully leading to more transferable engineering courses to be added for ECC students,” said Nueve.

Rhyner and Nueve are both excited to be bringing the Engineering Club to the Elgin Community College students. The Engineering Club has several of educational events added onto their Fall 2017 semester agenda. Some events consist of four-week course workshops centering around fractals imagery and a basic crash course in micro-processing, guest speakers from biomedical and neuronal engineering departments, fundraising events, and Engineering Awareness Week. The Engineering Club will meet on Tuesday mornings from 11 a.m. – 12 p.m weekly in a to be determined meeting space. For further information or weekly newsletters, contact them via email, at [email protected] or follow them on social media @ECCETClub.