ECC hosts Thriving Student Musician, “The Child of Eve”

Ben Groth of “The Child of Eve” will be opening for, American folk singer-songwriter, Arlo Guthrie, at 6:45 PM on Oct. 16th, inside the Building H lobby.

Joseph Watychowicz, Staff Writer

On Apr. 1, Ben Groth was playing a Saturday night show at the Penny Road Pub in Barrington, Illinois.

Given the short end of the stick, Groth was set to play as the very first act of the evening. The dimming lights directed the entirety of the audience’s senses to the front of the stage. The few individuals in the room became attentive, falling into the atmosphere that was given to them in a tranquilizing collection of frequencies. His sedative folk influences rang loudly, allowing any watchful souls to experience a modern take on medieval lyric poetry combined with intricate guitar compositions. After his first song ended, a silence spread throughout the venue. The audience had experienced a significantly unique moment.

Groth has come an immensely long way from the previously mentioned show. Groth has been given multiple opportunities throughout the summer season. Later performing at the Bitter Jester Music Festival in June and also advancing in a “Battle of the Bands” as the night three winner.

“There were at least a couple hundred people there with others consistently cycling in. I won my night and was able to advance to the next round,” said Groth.

This granted Groth the opportunity to play a set in the Miller Lite Beer Garden show at Navy Pier. These new experiences then led Groth to his very first performance on live television, performing for the program “You & Me” on WCIU, The U.

“The fear of playing in front of people is not quite there because of a few people in the broadcasting room, but then the thought of hundreds of people watching you through their television becomes the scary part,” said Groth.

People say there is a certain substance that follows each song “The Child of Eve” has composed. Groth categorizes his music as “folk music, but immensely inspired by classical and medieval storytelling.”

Each song is presented as a reflective story with the use of baroque word structures. Containing more mature and considerate musical experiences, helps listeners find themselves inside a comfy but fresh adventure into the life of particular individuals. Allow yourself to be engulfed by each song. These songs will grant you a rewarding understanding of lives separate but not completely unrelated to your very own.

Elgin Community College will be hosting a show for “The Child of Eve” on Oct. 13th. Groth will be opening for, the notorious American folk singer-songwriter, Arlo Guthrie at 6:45 p.m, inside the Building H lobby. Find yourself relaxing to the mental massage after studying, “The Child of Eve” will be a truly gratifying indulgence.