Disability Employment Awareness Month gives hope to ECC students

Lisa Lilianstrom, Staff Writer

Graduating high school and or college often means going to the next phase of your life. That phase may contain finding employment in your dream job. While it is easy for some, for others, this portion of future responsibilities can be difficult. Especially for those who have disabilities.

Statistics show that only 17.5% of people with disabilities are employed. However, that statistic is shocking when compared to over the 60% of people employed without a disability. This statistic makes one wonder why this percentage is so low.

Many believe that one of the reasons that the percentage is low is the fact that employers may feel that disabilities may keep people from doing their job.

“Employers may also think that people with disabilities cannot perform the job duties, but I encourage employers to focus on the strengths that the job candidate possesses,” said Pietrina Probst, Coordinator of ADA and Student Disabilities Services at ECC.

For many people with disabilities that do get hired, their jobs may only be set part-time or less paying positions.

“I believe it’s complicated. I heard from others – that they always earn less money. Or those people for hiring them but without realized about they don’t know how to works. for example, zero sign language or try get my attention when I am deaf,” said ECC student Eloisa Basilio.

Another barrier that many people may also face is trying to find a way to get to work. Due to limited transportation options, many people with disabilities must turn down jobs that do not accommodate to their travel options.

“Another barrier that people with disabilities face is related to transportation. In some geographic areas, public transportation is limited, so individuals with certain disabilities may experience difficulty with obtaining reliable transportation to and from work,” said Probst.

October is nationally recognized as Disability Employment Awareness Month. Disability Employment Awareness Month works to educate people about disability employment issues and celebrate the contributions of America’s workers with disabilities.

One of the main things that are encouraged for students with disabilities is to get experience in their chosen career field. Internship Coordinator, Michelle Allen, believes there is a way that those students can just get that.

“I would encourage people with disabilities to participate in a job shadow experience to gain knowledge and experience in their chosen career field while also helping an employer to see their strengths as an individual,” said Allen.

Probst is also encouraging those with or without disabilities to pursue an education.

“It is very important for people with or without disabilities to pursue an education in their career of interest. Having a certificate or degree may help people be more marketable to an employer,” said Probst.

Despite some of the challenges that people with disabilities may face, the most important thing that Probst has said is to keep hope and know that the right job is right around the corner.

“Don’t give up! Practice interviewing. Ask someone to review your resume or cover letter. Network with professionals in your field. Keep positive and hopeful—the right job is around the corner for you! Learn about your disability, and research accommodations, including assistive technology, that may be beneficial for you in the workplace,” said Probst.