Pros of getting to know your professors

Joseph Watychowicz, Staff Writer

When first becoming a student at Elgin Community College, it can be difficult to know which profession and degree to work towards. There is an overwhelming amount of options and paths for one to take, only making the most uncertain students overwhelmed. For some individuals, they know exactly which occupation to work for and are able to find an avenue they are quite passionate about. Either way, there will always be something a person will be interested in learning. What really is the best possible way to get the most out of attending ECC?

Rick Rodriguez, an adjunct professor in the communication design department of ECC spoke to The Observer regarding this topic. Rodriguez is an experienced videographer and broadcaster; having worked for the Today show, NBC, and NBC News. It wasn’t until ten years ago that he moved into teaching videography, production and sound design in colleges such as Harper and ECC.

“I was very lucky. I received a job in a radio station by finding something I was passionate about and pursuing it,” said Rodriguez.

As life has a tendency to put us through the most difficult of trials, many of these opportunities are hard to find. Rodriguez’s received job opportunities, were not straightforward experiences either, as his work with NBC required him to be on call 24/7 for an entire 30 years. It was his interest and avid amount of research into the field that led him to where he is now. This is where his concern comes from the substantial amount of new unguided students that start attending ECC every semester.

“I think it’s important to optimize learning. Learning is the goal. If you’re not interested in learning, you’re only complicating your pathway into education,” said Rodriguez.

Aiming to create a skillset for the profession a student wishes to have is essential. These skillsets are what will land them their coveted job in the future. Students will find themselves more confident and interested in their classes if they ask questions and talk with their professors. This allows for a better understanding of what and how the subject is being taught, enabling a more productive experience for everyone included.

“The whole idea is to earn people’s trust. No one can trust you just because you asked them to,” said Rodriguez.

The professors at ECC are here to help students on their path of gaining knowledge. Any questions regarding their class will be more than appreciated, as they can substantially inform you on what’s to come in the semester. Be sure to reflect on what you truly want to gain during your time at ECC. This institution is truly the beginning of many adult lives. You can only gain from education the amount of learning you set out to accomplish yourself.