“Sharing love with all of God’s creations”: The story of pastor, director, and adviser, Jemel Townsend

Ismael Cordova, Editor-in-chief

Jemel Townsend was only two years when he took his first big adventure to travel alongside his family from Jamaica, Queens, New York to Atlanta, Georgia. Escaping a drug-addicted father, his mother and siblings moved states away to pursue a better life.

In school, Townsend identified himself as an outcast.

“I was a nerd. I loved it. I really liked being different,” Townsend said.

Townsend found a passion in theatre. Pursing time in a theatre world, Townsend grew up to believe that he would one day become a successful actor. After graduating Cedar Grove High School, he enrolled and took courses in a performing arts acting academy.

Although growing up, Townsend seemed to have everything together, he admits to never being exposed to any positive male role models. Despite his mother’s support in whatever he pursued, Townsend found himself in the need of pursuing further education in a university. Townsend compared the school to the show Fame or Glee. The school provided students with singing classes, dancing classes, music appreciation classes, improv classes, and much more. Townsend took the opportunity to learn every aspect of the entertainment industry. He worked in a variety of plays and attempted to get more into the acting scene.

In the meanwhile of attending Millner’s School of the Performing Arts, Townsend met his later wife on the set of a movie.

“We were both casts as paid extras. It was like it was written for a movie. My best friend and I did the movie and my later wife and her friend did the movie too. I was very drawn to her. But I was a nerd and I never found the courage to ask her out on a date,” Townsend said.

Townsend practiced how he planned to ask out his later wife. Even going to far, to practicing to a wall of potential pick up lines. In the midst of his practice, she called him over, approached him, and gave her number to him.

“This is her favorite part of her version of the story. She was always taught to never go after a man. But she said that she really liked our connection and didn’t want it to be the last time we saw each other,” Townsend said.

Townsend and his wife have, currently, been married for 13 years. Mrs. Townsend continues to be a support system for all his endeavors.  After attending Millner’s School of the Performing Arts, Townsend found himself in a bind.

“Education was not a family value. Mom didn’t push college. She didn’t talk about it. Although, I started to realize the difference between the lives of those who went to college and those that didn’t,” Townsend said, “College was the place to be.”

Townsend then started attending courses at the American Intercontinental University, later graduating with a degree in Forensic Science. Following his graduation, Townsend worked as the Deputy Sheriff of a police department in Atlanta, Georgia.

“I worked in the warrant program. There we would focus on getting warrants and serving them. We even had what they called a “No Knock Warrant.” Where police department members would serve the warrant and get into the building through breaching the front door, back door, and arresting everyone inside the house to prevent any injuries,” Townsend said.

Townsend later transitioned over to Crime Scene Investigation and Felony Probation in the later years. He, then soon, began to train officers through different situational scenarios, such as firearms, defensive tactics, and field drug testing, when one of his friends asked: “Have you ever thought about teaching?”

Townsend then began to teach criminal justice as the Program Chair for ITT Tech.

“That was the move. The bridge between criminal justice and teaching,” Townsend said.

Townsend currently serves as the Director of Digital Technologies for Elgin Community College. When asked about why he decided to work at a community college instead of a private institution, Townsend responded:

“Not to offend anyone but the demographic that goes to a private institution and a community college. Are not the kinds of people who have been handed to them. Some students have it set for them but others had to work to accomplish and improve themselves before that step in their life. I wanted to let students know that they are not any less worthy than students who are at a 4-year university or an Ivy League.”

Townsend was originally hired as the Professional and Organizational Development Coordinator.

“I basically ‘instructed the instructors on how to instruct’ well, at least, that is how I explain to my 5-year-old daughter,” Townsend said.

Townsend currently oversees the Digital Forensics, Computer Informational System Program, Office of Administrative Technology Programs on the Elgin Community College campus. These programs are utilized by students that want to work in a legal office or be an executive assistant.

Alongside being an administrator on the ECC campus, Townsend works as an advisor for the first generation support group, ASPIRE 1G.

“I would often go to ASPIRE meetings because I had never experienced something like that when I was in my undergraduate years,” Townsend said.

After the previous adviser left for another job position, she then asked Townsend to take over as one of the advisers. Townsend states that the shift of advisers was a “smooth transition.” Townsend believes that he is a good role model because he is “apart of it.”

“I can tell you from experience what it is to be [first generation.] I know to build what skills. But most importantly, that, that term is not a negative term. Academically, yes, statistics prove that [first generation students] do not perform as well as their traditional counterparts. You may be the first but you will not be the last. Just because your parents didn’t go to college doesn’t mean that you have not learned valuable lessons that will help you in college,” said Townsend. “My mother used to tell me this: ‘Don’t tell yourself “no,” let them tell you no.’ Do what you want and let someone else tell you no.”

Townsend believes that it is important for first-generation students to know that there are people around them who support them and will provide them with more information.

“With the executive board, I remind them that this is their organization. I’ll tell you what you need to do, I’ll give you advice, and I’ll steer you in the right direction – but I won’t do it for you,” Townsend said.

For ASPIRE 1G Executive Board members, Andres Garcia and Jose Lopez, Townsend is much more than an adviser for their club.

“Jemel is an incredible person. Whenever I’m confused or don’t know what to do about something no matter if it’s for the club of if it’s for me personally, I know I can always count on him for advice. Jemel is always willing to listen and always makes the good of any situation come to light,” said Andres Garcia, President of ASPIRE 1G.

“Jemel is an amazing person. He’s always willing to help you out no matter the reason. Even though he’s our adviser at ASPIRE, he’s always there for anyone and it’s noticeable in the way he goes from club to club seeing how everyone’s doing,” said Jose Lopez, Treasurer of ASPIRE 1G.

One portion of Townsend’s life that he holds dear to his heart is the church. Back in Atlanta, Townsend worked as an Associate Pastor. He recently opened his own church named Spirit and Truth Sanctuary in Oak Park, Illinois.
“God laid in my heart that I must open up my own church,” Townsend said.
The church, led by Townsend and his wife, has several resources for their members. They built a website, they built an app for both Google Play Store and Apple, that provides church information and their very own app bible.

“Our mission statement is ‘sharing love with all of the God’s creations.’ Many churches are inclusive and often shy away from the LGBT community and many other communities. Sometimes the church pushes people away from God instead of towards God. Our church is LGBT friendly. We have members who are homeless. We work as a non-denominational church that accepts and teaches in an interfaith method at times,” said Townsend, “As I always say ‘Hate is an epidemic. Love is the cure.’ and my church works to show that people should love.”

Townsend claims that his first sermon took place on the Elgin Community College campus.
“My first sermon was at a meeting of Students Who Are Not Silent, an LGBTQIA club on campus, as I told them that they were loved just as they are. Showing them scriptures that proved it. People could realize that God is love and God is not exclusive,” Townsend said.

Townsend works hard to show students that anything is possible. When asked about his future goals, Townsend responded:
“I would love to move up in a higher level of administration. I would love for my church to grow, gain more members, and more hands on deck to continue sharing God’s love. My wife and I are writing a book about a blended family, we hope that goes successful, in hopes of possibly working on our second book.”