TRiO Programs helping students succeed in college

Maggie Im helping one of her students, Francisco Escobar, filling out FAFSA application. TRiO coordinators are fully committed to any students need.

Valeria Mancera-Saavedra, Staff Writer

College can be difficult for students. In this academic phase, students can find themselves concerned about various aspects of their education. Whether they are seeking financial help, joining a club or organization, or learning about college applications and the transfer process, TRIO is there to help. 

TRiO programs are funded by the US Department of Education and are available at Elgin Community College. They are designed to identify and provide services to individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds. There are three federally funded TRiO programs: TRiO Student Support Services/ESL (SSS/ESL), and Upward Bound (UB). 

Participation in TRiO is open to any ECC student who meets the citizenship criteria and if the student is a first-generation college student; or if the student is from a limited income household; or has a documented learning or physical disability. 

According to Magnolia Im, Manager of Student Support Services, SSS/ESL are programs designed for students that are traditionally underrepresented. These provide a variety of services which include career and academic planning, tutorial support, information concerning financial aid and scholarship, assistance with college applications and transferring, visitation to four-year institutions, cultural and social activities, assistance for ESL students enrolled in mainstream college classes and many more services that can make college experience easier.

“A big benefit to our students is that they have a constant person that they can work with during their time in college. We provide an environment where students feel comfortable to come and express their needs,” Im said. 

TRiO services goal is to help students with their transition all throughout college.  

Steve Aguilar, Manager of Student Support Services/ESL, works with students whose second language is English and who are enrolled in mainstream college classes.

“We are able to help students taking ESL classes because sometimes those students do need help too. We offer them the same services as in SSS,” Aguilar said. 

On the other hand, TRiO Upward Bound is a college prep program for high school students who are potential first-generation college students. According to L. Bruce Austin, Associate Dean of TRiO Programs, this program consists in provide tutoring after high school hours. This is a 4 days a week program, in which students are supposed to attend twice a week and it is offered every semester.  

To join TRiO, eligible students are considered for the program upon completion of an application and verification of first-generation status, income, and/or disability.  

ECC offers lots of opportunities related to academic process, and this is one of them.

“Students must take advantage of these programs since these offer a lot of opportunities,” Aguilar said.  

Need more information about TRiO Programs? Feel free to stop by the offices, make a call, or send an email. 

TRiO offices: 

Building B, Room B155 

847-214-6954 

Hours: 

Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

Building K, Room K102 

847-214-6959 

Hours: 

Monday-Thursday 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

(Both offices closed Fridays June – August.) 

elgin.edu/trio 

[email protected]