Low Turnout for the Budget Workshops

Rosa Gonzalez, Staff Writter

On March 29 Elgin Community College hosted two budget workshops to help students with their financial needs, but the student turnout was low.

Joyce Proctor, Bursar, provided the first workshop in the morning and a second one in the afternoon.

“The reason why I wanted to do this [budget] workshop is to show students that [they] can achieve [their] dreams without harming [their] financial health,” said Proctor. “[Students] most of the time want to do a budget when they’re in times of financial crisis.”

During the budget workshop Proctor explained many of the students have budget problems affecting them.

“2013 survey found that 63 percent of students at two year colleges have financial problems,” Said Proctor. “And that distracts them from school.”

Proctor demonstrated ways to budget wisely and showed an example budget. Her workshop let students learn hands on how to make their own budget.

Proctor also shared her own story that led her to making a budget for her own family.

“In 2008 [My husband] lost his job and we lost our house,” said Proctor. “It was that moment that I finally got serious and said alright.”

Along with budget workshops, ECC offers a financial literacy program.

Proctor also hosts a game presented each Semester at the Jobe Lounge called “How to Win at Life.”

“Our game, [How to Win at Life], is very well attended,” said Proctor. “The students pick their career then they get their paychecks and their taxes and loans. Then we have this wheel that they spin called ‘the Wheel of life’ because you never know if you could get a flat tire or a rebate in the mail.”

Even though not many students attended this free workshop, Proctor felt satisfied.

“[Budget workshops are] not as well attended as we’d like,” said Proctor. “If I help just one student [then] it’s worth it to me.”