Food For Thought: The Spartan Food Pantry

Luis Arevalo, Luis Arevalo

The ECC Spartan Food Pantry, located in room B170, is entering its second full year serving all hungry students looking for a quick snack before class.

“The food pantry is here for all students, not just students with needs,” says Nicolette Tsiveriotis, head coordinator of the pantry. “It’s for anyone who’s hungry, looking for a snack, and is around. The pantry is open three to four times a week, we cater to students only. No faculty or staff, we don’t cater to homeless, we’re designed to serve the students.”

Matthew Duron, whom is chair of the pantry, has experience with using the pantry.

“I’ve known of the pantry and used the pantry last year  because it’s a great resource for students, and the fact it’s here for students to use is amazing,” said Duron. “I work full time and go to school. Between class there might not be time to wait for food, or it isn’t ideal to spend money on food, ideally I would want to save money and use the pantry, huge money saver and the caviwave is awesome.”

According to Duron, the pantry is not only just resourceful to himself, but a multitude of other people on campus.

“For other people it’s great. Limit is reasonable. You get decent amount of groceries. For some people it can make a big difference,” said Duron.  “We have students who are parents and definitely benefit from [the pantry], because there’s just not only snacks you can get. we have baby food, deodorant things like that and it takes a little bit off strain from the full time student who’s working to make ends meet. Free food is never a bad thing.”

When asked if there was any stigma when using the pantry, “Personally no, there was no stigma simply  because the moment I walked in, Jeremy made it very clear the pantry wasn’t need-based, [it] was here for students who are hungry, need a snack or something for later,” said Duron.

“The pantry is a give-and-take relationship,” says Jeremy Roble, president of Phi Theta Kappa and last year’s head coordinator of the pantry.”People take snacks and people donate.”

“I feel like there’s tremendous support [for the food pantry],” says Tsiveriotis. “Some professors donate monetary donations every month. Jesse Bader has a recurring withdrawal towards the pantry every month. Jeremy Robles went on a shopping spree with ECC President David Sam last year and collected $700 and Human Services Club helped donate $1,003 with David Carrillo.”

Last semester, with the help of Associate Professor II of Human Services David Carrillo, Human Services club was able to fund raise and donate $501 for the food pantry, through a contest called Beat The Professor. Carrillo outmatched that amount with an extra dollar.

“The $1003 was a huge breakthrough for a starting food pantry,” claimed Tsiveriotis. “For someone to match $500 for the food pantry is phenomenal, we couldn’t be more thankful.”

The pantry even gives back to those who help and volunteer.

“The pantry has showed me a side of community I’ve never seen before,” continues Tsiveriotis. “I played volleyball and team sports give you a sense of community but not nearly as much as giving back to the community. I never thought I would have this position or be given this opportunity. I know now for sure I want to help people have a career. It definitely shows you how a community should look like and feel and makes you want to go beyond ECC and make a connection to the community.”

What’s next for the award winning ECC food pantry? Robles wants to expand.

“Right now you can see it looks like a walk-in closet but eventually I  want to use the whole B170 room,” said Robles. “Hopefully one day we can get refrigeration, to have cold drinks and TV food. There’s this document that states that we’re non-profit and helps ECC be part of this Illinois food bank, which helps the pantry shop for food at a discounted price. The pantry is non-profit but the Pi Theta Kappa isn’t. Kappa has to be a non-profit organization.”