Loose Change Wars Unite Student Life

Luis Arevalo

If you’ve been to student life lately, you might’ve seen some containers containing loose change inside,and might’ve wondered to yourself why?

Luke Harmon, service officer of PTK, is behind the friendly competition going on at Student Life. The concept of the game is simple: whoever collects the most loose change wins a pizza party, and helps out Spartan’s Food Pantry, Elgin’s Boys and Girls Club and Haiti relief fund.

“When I was thinking about loose change war,” said Harmon, reflecting “I was thinking back of a fundraiser my high school did a long time ago called ‘Kiss The Pig’. So you get four teachers that you hated the most, and put their faces on jars to collect loose change. I thought it was a genius idea because in two weeks they raised over $200 and had the teacher kiss the pig. I wanted to get that concept over at Student Life because I know people here love to compete against each other.”

While Genoa Kingston High School was raising money for Future Farmers Association, Loose Change Wars is for three different organization.

“The goal for the loose change war is mainly to raise money for a good cause,” said Harmon. “And for clubs to compete with each other and whoever can raise the most change will get a pizza party, a trophy for bragging rights and maybe some secret prizes in the end I’m thinking of right now. The money being raised, the proceeds are going to good causes. First one is Boys and Girls Club, an after school program for at-risk youth and low income families and keeps them off the streets. Helps them with homework, do some arts and craft, and lots of fun stuff with them. Then the Spartan food pantry; hits close to home, give some money to them so they can buy groceries  and give back to the students at ECC. Last one is out of date but the money will go to the relief fund at Haiti, since hurricane Matthew hit them bad. So we want to donate money to them also. It’s three great causes hitting all over the world.”

Ali Reza Kasar the hani, first year student coordinator and former PTK member and officer, is proud of the Loose Change wars.

“I think it’s great, and with things like this it’s a hit-or-miss,” said Kasar. “And this year it’s grown big, a lot of clubs are into it and that competition between Student Life clubs is great. I think it’s awesome that the prize is a pizza party. For such a small prize, the fact that everyone is interested in helping the different charities speaks a lot about our students, it shows that they care. It’s not about what’s in it for me to win, there’s that competition and some of them are probably are doing it for the pizza party. But, if you look at the bigger picture for why these clubs are doing this, they’re doing it because they see it’s for a great cause. We always have change and I see people putting $10 and $20 bills in there. That right is part of the competition, but I think everyone understands that the purpose is much greater than a pizza party. That’s a testament to our students and the culture that is around Student Life. Same thing goes to other clubs doing charity events and the involvement you see from other clubs.”

Loose Change Wars will be an ongoing event happening in Student Life until the end of the Spring semester, but a winner for the pizza party will be crowned at the end of this semester.