Masks no longer required at ECC starting on Feb. 28

Observer Staff

Per Elgin Community College’s email message sent out Thursday, Feb. 10, masks will no longer be required on campus starting on Monday, Feb. 28.

In the coming days and weeks, the Observer will be covering this breaking story on our website.

Here is the full statement from ECC: 

Yesterday afternoon, Governor J.B. Pritzker announced that the state requirement to wear masks indoors will end on February 28, 2022. The decision to suspend the indoor mask requirement is based on a trajectory of declining hospitalization rates in Illinois that is expected to continue.

As such, ECC’s requirement of wearing masks while indoors will no longer be in effect as of February 28, 2022. Nonetheless, ECC strongly recommends wearing masks as an additional safety measure, whether required or not. Mask dispensing stations are located throughout campus and will continue to be made available.

This latest change in the masking mandate does not affect Elgin Community College’s current COVID-19 safety protocols or compliance with Executive Order 2021-20 (COVID-19 EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 87), which requires proof of vaccination or weekly testing, which remains in place.

ECC’s Emergency Operations Center group, along with college leadership, is monitoring this rapidly evolving situation and will provide timely communication and updates as information becomes available.

Thank you for your partnership and your commitment to our students and the safety of our campus.

Visit elgin.edu/covid19 for more information related to all of ECC’s COVID-19 procedures and protocols.