College representatives look to connect with students at ECC’s Transfer fair

Juan Castillo

Students interact with advisors that visited for the Transfer Fair at Ecc

Juan Castillo, Staff Writer

Over thirty representatives of colleges and universities were in attendance at this year’s transfer fair at ECC. The fair was held on Nov. 15 in Building B near the Jobe lounge.

Inside the fair, representatives took the opportunity to inform students on the many opportunities they have at their respective institutions upon transferring.

“I look to just connect with students and for the handful of students that would connect with us then I look to give them the sort of on-campus resources that they deserve”, said Sarah Hansen, a representative from Knox College.

According to Hansen, transfer fairs provide students with exposure to some schools that are lesser known to them due to reasons like being a smaller or from areas that students might not be too familiar with.

Tables were set up all throughout the main Building B hallway for each school to display their name and hand out flyers and get one-on-one time with students to inform on their school’s transfer process.

“I think it’s pretty important. I think students benefit from either just interacting with us as admissions counselors and then learning about certain schools that are closer to them that have their majors in particular and also learning about the financial aid packages that are offered to them”, said Bisrat Kidane a representative from Judson University.

As their time at ECC comes to an end students might be looking for the next step in their educational journey and representatives like Kidane and Hansen attend these transfer fairs to try and help guide them and answer questions they might have along the way.

“This is my first time participating in a transfer fair like this”, said ECC student Rishi Panchal, “I think these fairs give students an idea of the different universities and lets them compare their strengths and weaknesses.”

For students that are planning on continuing their education at a four-year school, events similar to this one are held multiple times a year at ECC. These events provide an opportunity for students to interact with representatives from these institutions and inform them on the opportunities they have available to them.