Spartan Mic Night showcases students’ talent

Auden Hattendorf

Alex Perteete getting in the zone before her performance at the Spartan Mic Night on March 15.

Auden Hattendorf, Staff Writer

From extreme yo-yo tricks to breakdancing, Spartan Mic Night has all types of talent. The Mic Night features students who are most eager to perform and show others what it is that makes them talented. Held in the H Building, the Spartan Mic Night has been a recurring hub for students to express themselves and to showcase their talents for years.

However, a thing that most performers seem to share is the nerves that happen right before getting up onstage. When I spoke to some of those who decided to perform at the Mic Night, they all expressed that they experience some sort of anxiety before they get onstage. Despite the nerves, they all push through because of the benefit of the performance and the thrill of putting yourself out there.

“I think people could benefit from [seeing me perform] because they might feel shy and scared to show their own talent,” said Alex Perteete, a long-performing singer at the Spartan Mic Night. “They might see me and say, ‘hey, I can do this too.’ I can encourage them to get up there and try it as well.”

Spartan Mic Night features students who audition for the event and wish to advance to performance. Anyone can audition, and the acts are a wide variety. Nothing is expected at the Mic Night. But, despite the eagerness to be in the show, performing in front of the crowd can be difficult. But for those who want their profession to revolve around their talent, they’re well-versed in dealing with the nerves of stage fright.

“Every time I’ve ever performed I’ve gotten nervous — I’m nervous about everything,” said Michelle Barker, another performer who sang during the Mic Night. “But, for some reason, [performing] gives you a positive anxiety versus a negative one.”

Overall, the thrill of the performance and the encouraging environment that the student audience creates ensures that anyone can share their talent at the Mic Night — and they’ll feel great when they do.