• Newly elected Seth Hernandez, 2024- 25 Sudent Body President

News

Fresh faces to lead 2024-25 Student Government Cabinet

• New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

News

New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

• ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

News

ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

• Estudiante accediendo al sitio web FAFSA.gov el 20 de marzo de 2024.

News

Students face challenges amidst ‘A Better FAFSA Process’

• Angela Tovar and Shayndel Valles at the ACP Spring Conference in San Diego.

News

The Observer wins national awards at ACP Spring Conference

• Matthew Bishop and Alberto Mantovano

Human Interest

A Very Deep Goodbye for Matthew Bishop

• The hours for the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at ECC in Building B.

News

What is FAFSA? Financial Aid Overview

• The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and TRIO Office at ECC in Building B.

News

New FAFSA form available for 2024-2025 school year

• Student Life Coordinator Gaea Atta Moy works from her office at ECC.

News

New Law Guarantees Paid Time Off for All Illinois Residents

• ECC hosts early voting for Kane County residents March 5-6 outside of Building B.

News

Early Voting Underway

The Student News Site of Elgin Community College

Observer

Observer

Observer

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Bill Angelo is entering his 27th season as ECC’s baseball head coach. He has had nearly 820 wins since...

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

‘Our Shared Humanity Binds us’: BSA Hosts Vigil for Palestine

Emotions were high while speakers spoke on their beliefs surrounding the Israel Palestine conflict.
Madison Gschwend
LED candles were placed on a vigil in the Jobe lounge at the end of the event at the Candlelight Vigil for Palestine event in the Jobe Lounge on Nov. 29, 2023.

A vigil for the lives lost during the Israeli and Gaza conflict was hosted in the Jobe lounge at Elgin Community College on Nov. 29, 2023. The vigil was organized by ECC student Anya Alfante and members of the Black Student Achievers Club or BSA. 

The event took place at 4 pm and was attended by about thirty people. Two guest speakers spoke during the event.

ECC Professor of History Antonio Ramirez Spoke on some of the history relevant to the conflict and also offered his personal thoughts. Ramirez’s speech highlighted some of the injustices seen today towards the palestinians.

“Children as young as fourteen and fifteen are arrested for throwing rocks and put in Israeli military jails and held without charge,” Ramirez said.

A similar sentiment was spoken about by Administrative Law Judge Junaid Afeef in the context of unequal news coverage.

“We don’t hear the stories about why there are literally thousands of children imprisoned by Israel. We don’t hear the stories of why they were imprisoned. We don’t hear the stories of their reunification,” Afeef said.

The idea to hold a vigil was thought of by ECC Student Yttzel Serrato and was organized by Alfante. Alfante knows students in the BSA and was able to get their help organizing as well. 

The event was originally planned to start in the jobe lounge and move to the edge of Lake Spartan. Due to winter weather, the vigil took place entirely inside jobe lounge instead. 

After the speakers were finished, attendants were encouraged to turn on LED candles found under their seats and put them on a vigil table in the corner of the lounge. The vigil table has been left up with the candles still lit at the time of writing. 

Attendees were also encouraged to take handouts provided by the organizers about the impact of the conflict on Palestinians.

During an interview with The Observer, Alfante spoke about how students can get involved.

“Learn with a hunger to know the truth,” Alfante said. “Be confident in knowing that at the end of the day, you are fighting for human rights.”

Ramirez offered several sources that he believes are reporting important information that does not have a pro-Israel bias. His choices are listed below.

Al-Jazeera News

Democracy Now

UNRWAPR

+972 Magazine

B’Tselem Human Rights Group

Jewish Voice for Peace

If Not Now Movement

PBS News Hour