Student Member of the Board: The Voice of the Students

Cory Bray, Staff Writer

The student member of the board isn’t the most recognizable position on campus. In fact, only two out of 10 ECC students in the Jobe lounge polled where aware the position even exists. Moreover, only one student polled was aware Jorge Galvin was 2015-2016 student member of the board. The fact is, the student member of the board is the student liaison to the ECC board of education. In short, they serve as the voice of the students.

On Tuesday April 12, in the Siegel Auditorium, ECC’s newest student member of the board, Diego Gonzalez was introduced and inducted. Soft spoken but ready for the challenge, Diego is prepared to lead by example.

“I want to show students that going to school is more than just taking classes, getting involved in clubs and organizations can definitely make an impact in their lives,” said Gonzalez.

Moving to America from Mexico a little over a year and a half ago has not stopped Diego from chasing his dreams and moving forward. He accredits ECC as to helping him improve his language, confidence in communicating with others and acclimate him to a new culture.

“English is my second language, I know that sometimes the language can be a barrier for me, with this position. I hope to gain more confidence when communicating with others,” said Gonzalez.

The student member of the board is no small task, in addition to board meetings SMOB’s are required to serve on subcommittees, attend workshops, manage school and work life.

“You have to be willing to figure out your finances and how you’re going to work around a very demanding schedule, we had a previous SMOB have to quit his job as a result of the time commitment,” said Suan Timms, member of the SMOB selection committee.

In past years, the SMOB was elected by student popular vote. After examining ECC’s process of electing versus what other schools are doing, ECC decided to have a selection process instead.

The selection process is as followed: Once available, students who are interested complete a nine page application that includes the position description, election timeline, declaration of candidacy, a nomination petition, (students applying must have a petition signed by at least 50 current ECC students or 10% of the student body, and it is recommended to have additional signatures). In addition, student must submit a 750-1000 word document that shares the reason for their candidacy, past or present campus and community involvement, and any additional information they want to share.

Students also must reside within the ECC district 509 Boundaries, have completed at least nine credit hours at ECC, have and maintain a 2.25 GPA, will be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours in Fall 2016 and Spring 2017, and be able to serve the required attendance at open session board meetings and complete reports in a timely manner. After all applications are submitted, students are interviewed and ultimately selected by the Student Life Allocation Committee, according to a student life representative.

“We wanted to eliminate the possibility of someone running or being elected as a prank or joke, once they’re in, that’s who we have,” said Timms.

Not only are SMOB obligated to preform specific duties but the position offers many learning opportunities such as enhancing leadership skills and teaching the intricacies of the board. Often, board members serve as mentors.

The position requires a lot of reading, as SMOB, they are expected to be prepared and abreast of the issues regarding various meetings they must attend.

As SMOB, it is extremely important to be visible and accessible to the students. Students encounter various situations during their time at ECC and need to know they can go to their SMOB regardless of the problem.

“I would like to say that if there is anything that concerns them, they can let me know whenever they want. I am willing to help them to solve any problem they could have, even if the problem is not on my hands. I will find the correct people to help us solve it,” said Gonzalez.