Standing in Solidarity in a Global Day of Action

Matthew Carnero Macias, Staff Writer

Recently Elgin Community College was visited by alumni and Elgin native, Caleb Jennings. The purpose of the visit was to set in motion a plan of action and to inform, promote and guide in the process of activism at its core. Shortly thereafter on April 14 a Global Day of Action followed suite.

The Spartan Auditorium was filled to about a third of its capacity. The student body, faculty members and Elgin citizens were in attendance. When asked if the Fight For $15 campaign was relevant or familiar to anyone, few responded and even less were aware of the movement.

The Fight For $15 campaign formed a few years ago in New York when fast food workers banded together in hopes of raising their minimum wages to a living wage and the opportunity to form a union. The campaign has been gaining both national criticism and support in the past year and the city of Chicago on April 14 witnessed the hundreds of supporters at the River North McDonalds.

“Our job in this campaign is to tip the scales a bit,” said Jennings.

Jennings among others have been relentless in their opposition against wage theft, corporate greed, tax avoidance and poverty wages.

“We’re trying to organize people to come together to use their power,” said Jennings. “To come together use their power to become a political force.”

Carolyn Clarke is an ECC student who happened to be present at Jenning’s speech. She fundamentally understands that the Fight For $15 movement is founded on social justice principles.

“I’ve never been involved in political protests but I do believe it is and always has been effective, especially when you look at history,” said Clarke. “I can afford college and other expenses, whereas other people are not able to and it’s out of their control. I want other people to have the same opportunities I have had.”

Clarke too is optimistic about the campaign, considering its recent triumph in New York and California where the minimum wage will reach $15 in 2018 and 2022 respectively. She is certain Chicago will make an adjustment and better its citizens and community on April 14.

Lindsy San Filippo, also an ECC student, was in attendance March 16. Prior to the event, San Filippo was vaguely aware of the movement but still was familiar with the idea and principles with all movements such as this one.

“I think their approach is very effective,” said San Filippo. “I think it’s great that people who normally don’t talk to each other are being united.”

San Filippo believes that the minimum wage should be raised to $15 an hour which would be considered a living wage for single individuals who have no dependents. That is where the attrition ensues unfortunately.

Arguments against those who are stuck getting paid poverty wages is that the job market is a free one and that jobs in the fast food industry were implemented for teenagers and young adults in order to gain work experience and to keep busy and never was it meant to be a career that would be sufficient in raising a family.

“Yes, I have a friend who came up from Mexico with her family to escape extreme poverty and violence when she was young. She had to drop out of ECC to work more so she could support her family and her ailing mother,” said Clarke. “Since she does not have a social security number, she cannot pursue a better paying job. The minimum wage is keeping her and her family in a cycle of poverty.”

The current agenda isn’t only affecting its own people but it is discouraging those who seek opportunities in the United States, therefore perpetually retaining struggle within its borders and streets within its communities.

One familiar face at the Global Day of Action in Chicago to both McDonalds and protests was Tyree Johnson, a McDonalds employee for twenty-four years and has in some way, shape, or form been involved in fourteen protests  and strikes.

Johnson is very candid regarding his stance on McDonald’s business practices.

“Why don’t you take that billion dollars out of your pocket and put it in my pocket and I won’t have to apply for public assistance,” said Johnson. “It irritates me because they [California] have better politicians. We have Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Bruce Rauner,” said Johnson.

Johnson has seen progress in the movement but fails to see McDonalds taking note of that and that is why he continues to fight for $15 and a union.

“The message for today is that Mcjobs are costing us all,” said Angel Mitchell, one of the speakers at the Global Day of Action in Chicago.

Mitchell believes that she deserves a living wage because she earned it through her time at McDonalds.

“We work, we sweat, we need fifteen dollars on our check,” said Mitchell.

Adjunct faculty from Loyola University and nursing care providers from Sheridan Shore also participated in the global day of action in Chicago, along with warehouse workers and child care providers. The protesters pleaded with the public that they should receive a “living wage on a living planet” and that billion dollar corporations need to be held accountable for absurd tax breaks while paying their employees absurd wages.

McDonalds has recently announced that they will be raising their wages at the restaurant operated and owned locations-which accounts for only 10%. Franchises account for the other 90% of McDonalds restaurants. The pay hike will be a $1 per hour more than the local minimum wage standard.