Social Rights, Social Justice and Social Reform

Matthew Carnero Macias, Staff Writer

They are labeled illegal alien, immigrant, foreigner, undocumented, permanent resident and so forth but to their communities they are known as friend, husband, neighbor, nanny, colleague and not by coincidence but by cooperation and compliance with the U.S. and it’s socio- economic boundaries.

Jorge Mujica, social rights activist and candidate for 25th Ward Alderman as part of the Chicago Socialist Campaign, came to speak at Elgin Community College on Thursday April 28 where more than 80 students, faculty and administration were packed into the fishbowl located in C-120 next to the library.

“The movement of people is not the problem, the problem is the qualifications you need to move, particularly between international borders,” said Mujica.

Mujica is a proponent of circular migration, the process of repeated migration from one country of origin to another destination country where upon each return, sharing the welfare and contributions with both frequented locations.

According to Mujica one of the most essential reasons people migrate is to improve their welfare and adequately provide for others.

“What is calling people into the United States is the economy,” said Mujica.

This process can last months or years. The duration of the visit allows immigrants to gain skills, knowledge and information about other cultures and more importantly provide resources for others all while contributing to both economies.

The two most commonly used categories for migrant workers are H1B and H2A. H1B is designated to those who already possess a skill set, usually technical. H2A is for those who possess little to no technical skills, particularly agricultural workers. The most impactful difference between the two is that H2A workers are subject to workplace neglect and discrimination. For example, H2A workers are allowed to have only one employer and if for any reason the worker decides to leave his or her place of employment, their work visa is automatically revoked by default. Consequently, the worker’s status is lost and they now have become undocumented.

There are 140 types visas that the U.S. grants its visitors. The three main types are for work, study and tourist purposes. Of those 140 visas, 90% are designated for family ties across borders. The other 10% of the visas are for employment.

“But people mostly don’t want to move here because your brother is here,” said Mujica. “And one of the things that I’ve always said is that we don’t need brother visas, we don’t need sister visas, what we need are worker visas.”

Linda Campos-Moreira is the Bilingual Admissions Coordinator and was one of many attendees Thursday April 28.

Campos-Moreira, a Latina, was born in Illinois but her parents were born in Mexico and were naturalized during the Reagan amnesty era. The majority of her family resides in the U.S..

“I myself personally didn’t feel like an American-and I was born and raised here-until I participated in an immigration March,” said Campos-Moreria. “That’s the first time I ever felt like an American because I exercised my right to free speech.”

Linda does not agree with any of the presidential candidates stance on immigration reform. Nor does she agree with the status quo of immigrant and the face that is put on it via media.

“I think Mexican and Middle Eastern. I think that’s what most people think about when they hear the word immigrant,” said Campos-Moreria. “I think when people think immigrant they think Mexicans or Latinos but I think they see all of them-the citizens, the residents, the undocumented as immigrants,” said Campos-Moreria.

Campos-Moreira is a consummate activist in social justice reform. She is an advocate for participation and promotion of awareness on campus and in her community.

“I know that rallys alone isn’t going to be enough. At the end of the day we have to put the pressure on the voters and our legislators,” said Campos-Moreira. “I think the whole point of coming out of the shadows as an undocumented person is putting a face to the story.”

With the revealing of these 11 million immigrants, according to Mujica, will symbolize and personify what it is to be non-citizen, regardless of class or color. It would be naive and negligent to assume that a colleague, co-worker and neighbor is a citizen when in reality that immigrant has assimilated and conformed naturally and has taken on a new culture as their own.

When one economy forces it’s citizens out, another economy pulls those same citizens in and has them contribute to their economy. The desire for progress and development is innate and inherent.

One discreet concern that has been raised is what effect does immigration have on the country of origin? Well there is the notion that development is hindered and inevitably progress at one point or another will cease entirely-referred to as the brain drain theory. And yes, theoretically this is a valid point but circular migration differs from permanent migration. In fact, circular migration occurs quite frequently and more often than permanent migration according to the Migration Policy Institute and the many U.S. immigrants who we have come to know personally.

Vyan AlKurdi, ECC student and president of the Muslim Student Association, has mostly positive opinions on immigration but fundamentally understands that immigration issues are complex and are specific to each country.

“The issue differs in the way it accepts immigrants,” said AlKurdi. “For example we have one of the most strict ways of accessing entrance into the U.S.. Immigrants go through a very long and rigorous process and the majority get denied. In different parts of the world, immigrants get accepted faster.”

AlKurdi also believes that circular migration nets a positive gain for both the destination country and origin country.

“It benefits the society by pumping new blood into the nation,” said Alkurdi.