ECC Celebrates First Ever Indigenous Peoples Day

A holiday with long overdue recognition has finally gained traction with celebrations held at Elgin Community College.

Syed Hashmi, Staff Writer

The rich bass of rhythmic drums could be found resonating through Elgin Community College on Oct. 10, as the school celebrated Indigenous Peoples Day for the first time.

Coloring the campus this past Monday were live performances and presentations from prominent Native groups of Schaumburg and the larger Chicago-land area. Starting early in the morning and repeated again in the afternoon, five different sessions, each with a specific subject, educated both members of ECC as well as younger students from neighboring schools. Some of the topics included were, the negative effects of Native mascots, the indigenous identity, and embracing cultural roots. Performances took place in between sessions at the Jobe lounge, they ranged from demonstrations of cultural music to dances.

Jose Angel Barajas, one of the event speakers, presented a lecture entitled We Are Indigenous. Among other things, Barajas spoke of the challenges Natives faced in order to be recognized as humans;

“…when they [Columbus] stumbled onto these people…they couldn’t even accept that we were people…” His audience sat captivated by his heartfelt words as he imparted little known facts of Native history.

Adam Sings In The Timber presented, Through the Lens: Documenting Native Life and Culture. Sings In The Timber, an accomplished photo journalist, employed a different approach by targeting the interests of the younger generation. In his speech, he focused on the importance of capturing and preserving culture. Along with sharing photos from his own collection, he offered photography advice to various members of the audience and highlighted ways to get involved with the Native community.

Also invited to participate in the events of the day was Susana Banuelos and her students. Banuelos teaches and hosts a number of Aztec dance classes in Chicago. Along with presenting a lecture on, Embracing Our Indigenous Roots: A Mestizo Experience, her students from the Teotlecuilli group closed off the day with a traditional Aztec performance. She walked curious individuals through the beautifully crafted pieces of both art and jewelry that her group brought along and commented on the fact that they were all hand crafted. After personally speaking with her she explained that both the dance and crafting outreach programs she conducts provide students with an afterschool outlet to experience their culture first hand.

In tandem with the American Indian Center of Chicago, members of the Native community like Banuelos are fighting for the federal recognition of Indigenous Peoples Day here in Illinois. She believes the implementation of this holiday will allow future generations of Natives to retain a greater sense of identity and a stronger connection to their roots.

ECC has not fallen behind on this initiative. A formal proposal has been drafted to petition that the City of Elgin recognize the second Monday of Oct. as Indigenous Peoples Day. A handful of states across the country have already adopted the holiday, while others continue to work towards its official recognition.