ECC students get COVID vaccinated

ECC students share their experiences getting the Covid-19 vaccine.

As of May 15, 156,217,367 people in the U.S. had received at least one dose of the vaccine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Rebecca Marting, Staff Writer

Over a year ago, civilization across the globe had to change their normal ways. Countries shut down and citizens were told to stay inside their homes. Mass panic set in, causing a shortage in toilet paper. Face masks soon became required in many places. 

COVID-19 vaccine distribution started at the end of December 2020 beginning with healthcare workers and long-term care facility residents. Over time, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) opened vaccine distribution to the public along with approving two other vaccine manufacturers. As of May 2021, the CDC recommends the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 12 and older. 

There are many reasons why someone would or would not get the vaccine. One person may not get the vaccine because they have an underlying health condition while another person got the vaccine because they live with someone who has an underlying health condition.  

Reactions to the vaccine vary, but according to Bethany Poe, Walgreens senior pharmacy technician and Elgin Community College alum, about 3 to 10 people admit they’re nervous when sitting at the vaccination booth. 

ECC student Prachi Patel shares that they “wanted to do something to make cases go down so we have privileges of traveling, eating in restaurants, all back to how they used to be.”

Another thing that inspired them was their mother who has diabetes and interacts with people on a daily basis for work. When they got the first dose of the vaccine they didn’t even feel it going in, however, the arm where they got the shot was sore.

When I got my second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine I was expecting to get bad side effects but when I got it my arm instantly felt sore. They got body aches after 1-2 hours and felt tired and weak.

Allison Cunniffe, an ECC student, says that she got the COVID-19 vaccine to ease her mind and feel more comfortable being around extended family and that if she ever got COVID-19, side effects would be less extreme. She too said that after the first shot, her arm was very sore later that day and the next day. After she received the second shot, her arm felt very sore along with exhaustion and body aches. 

For anyone looking to get the COVID-19 vaccine, local pharmacies, urgent care clinics, medical offices, colleges and community centers will be used to serve as vaccination sites. Residents in the ECC area can sign-up or schedule an appointment to receive a Covid-19 vaccine at Walgreens, Walmart, Jewel-Osco, Meijer, Sam’s Club or Mariano’s Pharmacy.

A few ways a person can prepare for the COVID-19 vaccination include getting a good night’s sleep, avoiding pain medication and drinking plenty of water. To make an appointment within Kane County, visit www.kanevax.org/.