The Student News Site of Elgin Community College

Observer

Observer

Observer

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Bill Angelo is entering his 27th season as ECC’s baseball head coach. He has had nearly 820 wins since...

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Refugee’s Plight

many different families of loved ones.
the artistry of Venezuela’s finest.

Interview with Dr. Martinez.

Who are the people (immigrants) that are coming in? 

Upon my interview, before we even began Dr. Martinez stressed the importance of knowing the identity of those who immigrate here during the Venezuelan crisis. Often people are grouped and stereotyped together, and people with insufficient evidence constantly come to their conclusions without sufficient information. A lot of the people coming here are not only from Venezuela but from other countries facing disparity. Countries like Haiti, Ecuador, and Columbia just to name a few have all shared a similar plight in attempting to come to America seeking refuge and a better way of life. They are coming completely unaccustomed to the ways of the far north, and in coming here need to acclimate to its conditions with very little time to do either. Another huge factor we take for granted and don’t take into consideration is the type of countries they’re coming from. A lot of these countries surround the equator, meaning these countries have a constant warm climate all year around. With Winter looming over us, these people are not properly equipped and have the proper gear for themselves or their children as these places they come from simply don’t need to sell such products. Upon visiting the city I saw the tents being used at stations, and I questioned was raised by both of us that if these tents were properly equipped to handle cold temperatures. 

(challenges)To better understand the well-being of the coming immigrants, I enquired about Dr. Martinez’s Title. I was elated to find his prior occupation he was a doctor in Venezuela in the early 90s before coming to America. This was crucial as I had nobody better than Dr. Martinez to properly explain the health crisis many incoming immigrants are and will be facing in the coming months. With the cold comes viruses such as flu season, and most have not been given access to the vaccinations needed to treat these rampant viruses. Healthcare is one of the main things that come to mind as children don’t have the antibodies to properly prepare themselves against foreign illnesses. This is a human rights violation, as basic access to better hospitable locations would make them less prone to getting sick, just further exacerbating many of the already difficult challenges these people face. 

(Martinez’s personal experience) 

Dr Martinez came to the United States in the early 90s through the regular process it takes to come here. At the time, being a doctor in the early 90s and Venezuela was affordable meaning with the money Dr. Martinez made he was able to provide for himself not live luxuriously but stably. a far cry from what it is today, Venezuela used to be a country to go to for fleeing immigrants for many years in the 50s to the 70s Dr. Martinez explained. but after a certain point of time corruption took hold, and many positions meant to be filled by able-qualified people were instead filled with corruptly elected officials who had their own agendas. during this time period, Dr. Martinez made his transition from there to here legally, but many of his friends were not so lucky. even people of high-status positions, his fellow doctors to surgeons were under-equipped and slowly underpaid as the economy made the Bolivar, Venezuela’s currency largely obsolete in the following years. As corruption filled the offices of power many people sought to escape and leave for a better way of life, and thus eventually found themselves here. 

Another challenge being faced by many of these people is opportunities to prove themselves. Many critics would argue that these people come and get free government assistance but the main issue that springs from that is local governments not being prepared when such crises arise. Thus programs are not implemented to give these people any real guidance. The real truth is they’re left to fend for themselves and when providing for a family, they’re forced to find their means in any way they can. Dr. Martinez stresses that the children and the adults would greatly benefit from educational programs. To prevent crime and to provide some form of stability, programs that teach working and trade skills would greatly benefit them so that they begin to make their own income. With an income, they now would be able to provide more basic needs such as transportation to and from work alleviating a lot of stress off of local services as they would be able to provide more for themselves, thus being less reliant on the government and more reliant on their own individual skills to lead them to a successful future. Such a small change would see astronomical changes in the perception and overall well-being of these people’s needs. “Productivity will inevitably generate wealth.” And I think Dr Martinez couldn’t have said it better. As of October with this influx,  There are only 3 real options the immigrants have  at this moment and those are-

1. Be allowed a temporary work permit of some sort to start employment 
  2. Rely on the government’s already lackluster programs in place 
  3. Resort to crime 

Given the current circumstances and with winter encroaching these issues will only worsen as their plights go unheard. 

(terms) An important question constantly raised is the difference between what an immigrant is and what a migrant is. I think American citizens must understand the different terminologies when describing so many vast and diverse groups of people. Migrating is the active part of moving from place to place but never truly settling down thus being hence a migrant. A nomad is the best term that comes to mind. You only achieve the status of an immigrant when you reach a final destination, hence a place you plan to settle down permanently. 

(What can be done)

There are few resources at this point in time but the ones that are in place are doing everything they can to lend their support. I inquired about resources people could turn to, and One that came to mind was Central de Informacion, a public administration organization in Elgin that works to provide support and resources to inform others concerning agencies on how to best assist the Spanish-speaking community. Though they can only do so much given the current influx of more people needing more information they are spread thin. Another great resource is right under our noses, as ECC is immigrant-friendly toward people seeking opportunities, the school provides that solace for them and for their families whether directly or indirectly affected. Dr. Martinez himself and Professor Ramirez are both great resources and are eager to help whoever is in need of assistance. Another teacher involved in the help of immigrants or Spanish-speaking families looking for resources is Professor Salgado. Programs that are offered like vocational programs will help in the learning of English and other ESL skills. Along with the charity giveaways, ECC has many resources that need to be taken advantage of while they’re there. The last highlight is directly from Dr. Martinez and I think shows what the goals are of everyone involved and what they need to do. ” Instead of trying to find ways to be active, be proactive in your efforts to show support as it is not just these families but our fellow peers who are involved.” A degree of desperation is needed for them to think of leaving their homes and loved ones behind to try to start somewhere new, and more effort is needed on the part of us the citizens to make that change possible. (LP)