Charity spotlight: St Baldrick’s Foundation

Will Stringfellow, Staff writer

St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a not-for-profit organization with the aim of helping find cures for childhood cancers. The foundation was founded back in 1999 and the name is a play on words about shaving your head. The head-shaving is the main event of the foundation and is a stand of solidarity with children who often lose their hair during their cancer treatments.

“Shavees”, as they’re referred to, buzz or shave their head and often time the hair is also donated to make wigs or hairpieces for those suffering; both men and women shave their heads during the event.

Though St Baldrick’s is not a new organization, it is new to Elgin Community College, brought here by second year student Brittany Pales. Pales is the volunteer executive office, or VEO for short, here at ECC.

Pales said that the reason she wanted to bring the charity to ECC was from witnessing a girl in her high school shave her head for the charity and from family members dealing with cancer.

“Society doesn’t need to tell you that you’re beautiful,”said Pales, who then expressed how often women are questioned why they would cut or shave their hair for any reason.

On March 16, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., there will be stations set up for students who previously filled out participation forms and want to have their heads shaved in the Jobe Lounge . Forms will be provided at the event however, if people suddenly feel inspired to shave their heads for a good cause.

Pales and many other students are also collecting money for the charity and have so far raised over $600 in a few short weeks. Donations are not required to have your head shaved but are always encouraged.

The shaving will be a buzz-cut with regular clippers and “shavees” will be buzzed by volunteers. Students can also contact Pales if they would like to be a part of the charity team.

Pales can be reached at [email protected].