• Newly elected Seth Hernandez, 2024- 25 Sudent Body President

News

Fresh faces to lead 2024-25 Student Government Cabinet

• New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

News

New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

• ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

News

ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

• Estudiante accediendo al sitio web FAFSA.gov el 20 de marzo de 2024.

News

Students face challenges amidst ‘A Better FAFSA Process’

• Angela Tovar and Shayndel Valles at the ACP Spring Conference in San Diego.

News

The Observer wins national awards at ACP Spring Conference

• Matthew Bishop and Alberto Mantovano

Human Interest

A Very Deep Goodbye for Matthew Bishop

• The hours for the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at ECC in Building B.

News

What is FAFSA? Financial Aid Overview

• The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and TRIO Office at ECC in Building B.

News

New FAFSA form available for 2024-2025 school year

• Student Life Coordinator Gaea Atta Moy works from her office at ECC.

News

New Law Guarantees Paid Time Off for All Illinois Residents

• ECC hosts early voting for Kane County residents March 5-6 outside of Building B.

News

Early Voting Underway

The Student News Site of Elgin Community College

Observer

Observer

Observer

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Bill Angelo is entering his 27th season as ECC’s baseball head coach. He has had nearly 820 wins since...

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

A Celebration of Culture: Latinx Heritage Month at ECC

Victoria Alongi
“Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness” art installation in Renner Library on Oct. 25, 2023.

Every year from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, Latinx Heritage Month celebrates and recognizes the history of Hispanic Americans across the country. ECC makes a conscious effort to celebrate and 2023 was no different, featuring several events that encompassed this year’s theme “Belonging: Familia, Herencia y Poder.”

Executive Director for Diversity and Inclusion at ECC Anthony Ramos talks about the importance of representation during Latinx Heritage Month and beyond.

“As we think about enrollment, we recently broke our fifty percent mark of our students who identify [as Latinx],” said Ramos. “I think it’s really important for us to acknowledge and celebrate the history, culture, identity, accomplishments and challenges for the community.”

Having been a Hispanic-serving institution since 2009, ECC prides itself on making its Latinx students feel included and represented, as well as educating others.

“It’s a way for us to help our students and the community see themselves in the programming, feel a part of the community and validated,” said Ramos. “Maybe for those who don’t directly identify to be able to learn and engage and that was evident in the variety of programming that was offered.”

The events featured throughout the month included a panel discussing human rights in the Latinx community, an art installation documenting the hardships of creating a new life, as well as a movie night. Each represented this year’s theme of belonging, celebrating family, inheritance and power. 

One event in particular, “Venezuela: Why Refugees are Fleeing to the U.S.,” opened up the conversation on the migrant crisis, with the intention of educating people.

“The migrant crisis coming out of Venezuela was such a powerful program to be able to see and hear,” said Ramos. “What we’re seeing in the news, the journey people are making to the United States, we’re seeing them in our communities; how do we as a community college provide education, a space to learn and think about that?” 

To wrap up Latinx Heritage month, on Oct. 11, the Blackhawk Dance Troupe came out to perform. As the amount of students who identify as both Latinx and Indigenous has increased over the years, this particular event was able to shine a spotlight on the intersectionality of both identities. 

“That was a great opportunity for us to bring that performance on, as a part of LHM, particularly as we’re seeing more students identify with Latinx simultaneously with Indigenous,” said Ramos. “It was a unique opportunity to make that connection of intersectionality and bring that to light.”