Elgin Community College hosts Hijab Day

Lisa Lillianstrom

On February 9, the Muslim Student Association (MSA) hosted an event called Hijab Day where students could try on a Hijab in order to put themselves in the shoes of their Muslim classmates.

Hijab Day has been a staple event for the MSA for years, and the event itself has gained a lot of attention, and in the current political situation it seems to have gained even more attention because of the support people wanted to show.

“In this current political environment we need more outreach than ever. Too often do people speak and act out of ignorance toward Muslims. The more we can educate people about Islam and Muslims, the more chance we have to have peace and justice,” said MSA president Mariam Kruger.

Many students have participated in the event, students tried on Hijabs and even had the option of buying them as well. For student Darlene Sandoval she participated as a way to make new friends.

“I loved the way that MSA had scarves that we could try, and get to know them as and a little more about them as friends. They were really friendly and even helped me with trying on a placing a scarf.”

The event was there to show unity in a difficult time to show fellow Muslim students that they are not alone and they have people supporting them.

“We as a community college need to show unity especially in these difficult times because it doesn’t matter what happens, this is your home,” said student Esmeralda Espinoza.

This event also showed people that Muslims are just like everyone else, students with goals, and aspirations.

“I hope that this event just allowed people to not feel like they cannot relate to students who are Muslims, their beliefs shouldn’t be all you think about when you see them, they’re people with hopes and dreams, just like everyone, so there is no need to consider them any different,” said Sandoval.

Kruger hopes that this event will help give others a different perspective of Muslims.