• Newly elected Seth Hernandez, 2024- 25 Sudent Body President

News

Fresh faces to lead 2024-25 Student Government Cabinet

• New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

News

New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

• ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

News

ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

• Estudiante accediendo al sitio web FAFSA.gov el 20 de marzo de 2024.

News

Students face challenges amidst ‘A Better FAFSA Process’

• Angela Tovar and Shayndel Valles at the ACP Spring Conference in San Diego.

News

The Observer wins national awards at ACP Spring Conference

• Matthew Bishop and Alberto Mantovano

Human Interest

A Very Deep Goodbye for Matthew Bishop

• The hours for the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at ECC in Building B.

News

What is FAFSA? Financial Aid Overview

• The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and TRIO Office at ECC in Building B.

News

New FAFSA form available for 2024-2025 school year

• Student Life Coordinator Gaea Atta Moy works from her office at ECC.

News

New Law Guarantees Paid Time Off for All Illinois Residents

• ECC hosts early voting for Kane County residents March 5-6 outside of Building B.

News

Early Voting Underway

The Student News Site of Elgin Community College

Observer

Observer

Observer

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Bill Angelo is entering his 27th season as ECC’s baseball head coach. He has had nearly 820 wins since...

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

The Visual Element of Hip Hop: BSA Celebrates “All About Graf”

In 1973, Hip Hop was born after it was first performed spontaneously at a birthday party in the Bronx. Today, Elgin Community College celebrates Hip Hop’s 50th birthday with the help of ECC’s Black Student Achievers club (BSA). 

“Hip Hop is very influential,” said second-year ECC student and Secretary of BSA Diamond Cole. “It has come such a long way. If you get into where it started, how it was founded, you’ll find that a lot of other genres are based [on] Hip Hop as well. It’s very important and relevant to history and the way we live life today.”

To celebrate the impact of Hip Hop on our culture, ECC’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Department has worked with BSA to host several events celebrating 50 years of Hip Hop which started on December 5 and will end on December 12. 

These events cover the 4 main elements of Hip Hop: emceeing, deejaying, break dancing, and graffiti. On Wednesday, December 6, BSA held the “All About Graf” event in the Jobe Lounge to celebrate the graffiti element of Hip Hop.

“Graffiti is the visual element of Hip Hop,” said third-year ECC student and Membership and Promotion Coordinator of BSA Destiny Guevara. “The ‘All About Graf’ event is really getting into the idea of artistic freestyle and what it takes to be an artist in the world of Hip Hop.”

At the event, students watched a slideshow about street artists from across the world and were given the opportunity to create their own graffiti on coloring sheets provided by BSA.

“When you ask someone what graffiti is, everyone will have a different answer because it is so unique to the artist who is doing it,” Guevara said. “We’re hoping to bring this out at the ‘All About Graf’ event.”

In preparation for the “All About Graf” event, Guevara expresses the struggle with getting the approval to talk about graffiti. This is due to the associations between graffiti and vandalism.

“We’re not looking for people to come here and be like, ‘Oh, it’s vandalism, it’s illegal’ because true street art, true graffiti is not that,” Guevara said. “When you think about the tags that are associated with graffiti, they [function] the same way like when an artist like Jason Derulo says his name in every song, or how artists will sign their paintings in the corner. Why would a street artist not do the same thing?”

To address the misconceptions around graffiti as an act of vandalism, BSA created a presentation that played during the “All About Graf” event. 

“A lot of people think graffiti and they think vandalism, but really graffiti is street art,” Cole said. “I know how it can appear that way because realistically if it’s illegal, people will think it’s bad. But, around the world, it’s celebrated as street art, not vandalism.”

BSA will finish their celebration of 50 years of Hip Hop on December 12 where they will attend a performance by ECC’s Hip Hop Ensemble. Guevara reflects on the importance of celebrating Hip Hop as a genre of art, especially the visual element of it.

“It takes to culture, to community,” Guevara said. “I hope that people learn that graffiti is more than just tagging, or just the negative things that they think it is. It is an expression of life and community. The claim that ‘This is us, we are here.’ That’s truly what [graffiti is] meant to do.”