• Newly elected Seth Hernandez, 2024- 25 Sudent Body President

News

Fresh faces to lead 2024-25 Student Government Cabinet

• New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

News

New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

• ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

News

ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

• Estudiante accediendo al sitio web FAFSA.gov el 20 de marzo de 2024.

News

Students face challenges amidst ‘A Better FAFSA Process’

• Angela Tovar and Shayndel Valles at the ACP Spring Conference in San Diego.

News

The Observer wins national awards at ACP Spring Conference

• Matthew Bishop and Alberto Mantovano

Human Interest

A Very Deep Goodbye for Matthew Bishop

• The hours for the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at ECC in Building B.

News

What is FAFSA? Financial Aid Overview

• The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and TRIO Office at ECC in Building B.

News

New FAFSA form available for 2024-2025 school year

• Student Life Coordinator Gaea Atta Moy works from her office at ECC.

News

New Law Guarantees Paid Time Off for All Illinois Residents

• ECC hosts early voting for Kane County residents March 5-6 outside of Building B.

News

Early Voting Underway

The Student News Site of Elgin Community College

Observer

Observer

Observer

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Bill Angelo is entering his 27th season as ECC’s baseball head coach. He has had nearly 820 wins since...

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Newly elected Seth Hernandez, 2024- 25 Sudent Body President

The student government at ECC concluded preparations for the 2024-25 cabinet, having worked since march. Candidates, including Jessica Heiser, Brianna Zlotow and Seth Hernandez share their aspirations for the new semester. 

Spring term has reached its end, but not before the Student Body government finished its preparations for next school year’s cabinet.

Starting mid March, students have been hard at work applying for positions, which include the student trustee, student body president, executive vice president, executive secretary and executive treasury.

One of the student government’s main roles is to advocate for students including student leaders through different campus committees. It also works closely with all clubs on campus meetings where students are able to collaborate. 

We talked to three newly elected candidates for next school year and this year’s outgoing student body president.

Victor Senease – 2023-2024 Student Government President 

“It is a very fulfilling position,” said Victor Senese. “Being student body president I put myself in a situation where if you are unable to lead, no one is able to follow. It became a necessity to adopt leadership skills and abilities to grow them.”

Senese participated in many on-campus activities as president. 

“We had an amazing event where we participated with the Elgin Police last semester. That event was called drunk busters,” Senese said. 

After months of preparing, the new candidates have been announced and are preparing to take over as soon as this school year wraps up. 

The new Student Body president for 2024-25 is Seth Hernandez, a second year student. Hernandez will be replacing Senese starting in the fall.

“One of the main reasons I decided to run for student body president was because of my experience at ECC,” Hernandez said. “Being a first-generation student I understand the difficulties and struggles of learning how to navigate college. I want to share the resources I have found and help other students be able to navigate college more fluently.”

Jessica Heiser was noted as the new student trustee. 

Heiser wants to bring many changes to ECC. 

“I just want to help change the campus and make it where all students feel like it’s their campus.”

Heiser, who is wheelchair bound, says the school lacks means of transportation for people with disabilities.

“ECC right now doesn’t have any accessible vehicles for field trips. Right now, they have to order two weeks in advance. I know that they are now talking about getting 3ca new van, but I want to get a vehicle where all students with disabilities could go with everybody. Because to me that’s part of the field trip experience. Not separate from everybody.”

Brianna Zlotow, a second year student, is the incoming vice president.

“The reason I wanted to be in student government is simply because as a disabled person,”  Zlotow said. “It is so important to see other disabled people do this sort of stuff.”

“I’m about to turn 23. I started college late.It was very important for me to be able to see other people who had been through similar things like me actually do it and get their degrees.”

Like most of the students running for positions, this can be a new experience for most of them.

“The hardest part about running would be that I have a lot of social anxiety,” Zlotwo said. “This is really hard, but I have to. I’m very excited. Terrified, granted, but so very excited.”

After difficulties finding candidates to fill the position of treasurer and secretary, interviews were held.  Syeda Zaidi will be the treasurer, and Jasmine Rattanavongsa will be the secretary.