How to make Gluten-free dinner rolls!

Elizabeth Anton

Photo of homemade gluten-free dinner rolls made with Pamela’s gluten-free flour mix.

Eli Anton, Staff Writer

Whether you have Celiac disease, an intolerance, or have no known issues, going gluten-free is beneficial to your diet. Gluten is the general term for the proteins found in wheat, barley, and rye. It can cause a multitude of problems, such as gut inflammation (which contributes to intestinal issues), disturbance to the gut flora, encouragement of type 1 diabetes, inflammation in other parts of the body (such as the calves and ankles), brain fog or fatigue, and more.

For most people, gluten doesn’t appear to be an issue, but others have deemed otherwise. Preferring to be anonymous, a young man and former student of Elgin Community College learned he had an undetected intolerance to gluten.

According to him, just two weeks after going completely gluten-free, he realized his muscles felt looser, any stomach cramps he was experiencing went away and his stress levels went down. Before this point, he consumed gluten just like everyone else and thought he was completely fine.
So even if you are a person who consumes gluten with no issue, give the gluten-free diet a chance and you’ll likely discover a positive change.

Now, onto the recipe!

Sometimes finding tasty gluten-free products can be tough. Luckily, some of these companies have succeeded in creating high-quality options. One such company is “Pamela’s”, and they offer gluten-free flour, cake mix, pancake mix, cookie mix, and much more.
For a full list of Pamela’s products and recipes offered by the company, go to pamelasproducts.com.

The following is a reproduced version of a recipe originally on Pamela’s website.

Buttery Dinner Rolls

INGREDIENTS:

• 4 cups Pamela’s All-Purpose Flour Artisan Blend (3½ cups for a lighter roll)
  • 2¼ tsp (active dry) yeast
  • 2½ tsp salt
  • 7 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 large egg (2 eggs for extra-fluffy rolls)
  • 5 Tbsp butter (Just for the dough)

DIRECTIONS:

Warm the milk (max 110°F) and melt the butter, and set aside. Place flour in the bowl of a stand mixer. (If you do not have a stand mixer, mixing by hand works as well.) Add the yeast, salt, sugar, milk, egg, and butter. Start mixing on low speed and increase to medium; beat until smooth (About 1 minute).

Use an 8.5 x 11-inch baking dish and use butter to grease it. Form balls of dough and place them into the pan using a large (oiled) ice cream scoop to place 3 rolls across and 5 rolls down, side by side. If you do not have an ice cream scoop, scoop an equal amount of dough for each roll with a spoon.
(If you prefer, you can place the dough balls 1-inch apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet instead of in the baking dish.)

Dip your fingers in oil and smooth each roll into a round shape. Melt 3 Tbsp of butter and brush it over the surface of all dough balls. Cover the dough balls with plastic wrap (or a clean, small towel) and allow them to double in a warm, draft-free spot. (About 1 to 1½ hours).

Preheat the oven to 375°F with the metal rack placed in the upper third of the oven. Brush the dough balls one more time with melted butter, then place the baking dish (or cookie sheet) into the oven. Bake for about 40 minutes or until golden brown (180° internal temp.)

Allow rolls to cool before removing them from the pan to avoid deflation (which causes the rolls to be dense and flat). Placing the pan or cookie sheet on a metal stovetop or cooling rack will speed up the process. Once cool to the touch, remove the rolls to prevent condensation from building up in the pan.

Pamela’s All-Purpose Artisan Blend (4-pound bag) can be found at Amazon, Jewel Osco, Walmart, Mariano’s and Tony’s for about $15. Pamela’s website also offers a store locator to show all local stores that sell their products.

Another gluten-free bread option is the Canyon Bakehouse bread sold at Target. They offer both sliced bread and bagels. You could make a custom grilled cheese with your favorite cheese and maybe some bacon. Or a breakfast sandwich with an egg, a slice of ham, and cheese on a bagel.

For a slew of more gluten-free ideas, visit “Gluten-Free on a Shoestring” by Nicole Hunn.
https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/ (Link to the blog.)
With a focus to make the food both affordable and taste amazing, Hunn offers a whole range of recipes for any kind of meal.
Several of her recipes are also vegan-friendly options