Cruelty-free products are hard to come by

Natalie Wilson, Staff Writer

animal testinganimal-testingIt seems impossible to talk with someone who does not use products that are tested upon animals. Whether it’s cosmetics, hair products or even face wash most products are being tested on innocent animals and consumers are unaware. Both drugstores and department stores carry non-cruelty free products.

As stated on People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals website, more than 100 million animals are being tested on annually. Animals include rodents such as mice, rats, hamsters and guinea pigs as well as dogs, cats, monkeys and rabbits. Testing animals are secluded to cages and undergo painful experiments.

Beauty products being tested upon these animals include a wide variety of drugstore brands. PETA’s website includes a list with drugstore brands including Chapstick, Maybelline, Dove, Pantene, Clean & Clear, Johnson & Johnson and Covergirl that do test on animals. Other brand name companies that still test on animals today include, MAC, Mary Kay, Benefit, Chanel, Marc Jacobs, OPI, Sephora and Redkin. To find a complete list of brands that test on animals, check out PETA.org.

Although some people are unsure as to why companies are testing their products on animals, it’s because they have sensitive skin. A lot of products are on the market for sensitive skin. To determine how it will affect a consumer, companies test on innocent animals. Testing products on animals can result in rashes or even death.

Third year Elgin Community College student, Elizabeth Warner, works at Randall Road Animal Hospital. Being an animal lover, she is against companies that test on animals.

“The only hair product I use is Shea Moisture, it’s completely organic and only tests their products on employees,” said Warner.

As far as other
beauty brands go, some that do not test on animals include Urban Decay, NYX, Burt’s Bees, Wet ‘n’ Wild, Tarte, Too Faced and Lush.

So many companies are still on the bandwagon of testing on animals. Warner believes it is hard to find products nowadays that do not.

Depending on preference of drugstore or name brands, there are quality products that are cruelty free given on PETA’s website.

With the help of technology, animals no longer need to suffer. Companies need to invest on testing upon other employees or artificial human skin, called Epiderm.

Cruelty free products are not only beneficial to animals, but to the environment as well. Using less harmful chemicals in cosmetics will make it safer to test upon humans and better for the atmosphere.