Holi: The festival of colors at ECC

Valeria Mancera-Saavedra, Staff writer

The different cultures around the world form an indispensable part of society. Knowing the distinctive characteristics of each nation, country, or place, makes one create new perspectives and different viewpoints. At Elgin Community College the opportunity to expand your cultural knowledge is offered through various activities.

ECC students throw up their hands in joy during the Annual Color Festival on April 25.

On April 25, ECC held the 4th Annual Color Festival as a part of the celebration of Asian Pacific Month, thanks to the organization of Asian Pacific Month Committee, the office of Student Life, and with the help from several student clubs. This event took place at the Lakeside Patio, outside Building B. Students and faculty members participated in the different activities, and there were also young children from the ECC Early Childhood Lab School.

According to Gaea Atta, Student Life Coordinator, ECC’s color Fest was inspired by the Hindu festival “Holi” which is also known as the “Festival of Colors” to celebrate the changing of the seasons, and the celebration goes beyond that. The Holi festival celebrates the victory of good over evil. According to CNN, the history stems from an old legend of a female demon and her brother, who was the ruler of the universe. His son, however, followed Vishnu, the protector of the universe, turning his back on the demon. The demon siblings plotted to kill the sunlight, but failed and died after Vishnu protected the son, who became the king.

Holi is a big celebration in India where people spend the day smearing colored powder all over each other’s faces, having parties, and dancing. Also, other rituals that represent their legends are performed.

Each country is full of different cultures and traditions that expand to other places, and sometimes it is so much the impression that it causes, that it is inevitable not to be part of them.

ECC will continue celebrating Asian Pacific Month with more activities. The last event is the Bridging Cultures Closing Event to wrap up Asian Pacific Month with a special performance by the Multicultural Education Outreach Foundation to bridge the Eastern and Western cultures on Saturday, April 28 from 7-9 p.m. in the Spartan Auditorium.