How to survive and thrive during finals

Cody Carlson studying in Geology

Devin Wright, Staff Writer

At the beginning of the semester, I had written an article about how I study and handle my academic workload. But as this semester comes to a close, I wanted to add on to what I had originally written to cover how I handle the stress of finals.

One of the major things that make upcoming finals so challenging is the extra work that piles up toward the end of the semester. Whether this is a presentation or homework that has been put off until the last minute, it is still important to prioritize what needs to get done. Previously, I had described my use of a checklist to keep everything organized throughout the week. But I realized that one major flaw with that tip is how easy it is to put things off to a later date.

An example of this would be how on Monday, I am not in any mood to get started on my weekly block of schoolwork. I will likely dismiss the majority of things I need to get done, saying that I can always work on it tomorrow. However, with only four days of class, and a job on the weekends, I find that wasting that first day hinders my entire schedule, and I end up scrambling to get things done. To rectify this, I found that assigning my schoolwork to a certain day of the week helps with my overall productivity.

But an organized schedule isn’t enough to pass the final. Studying also plays a major role. A lot of the time, final exams are cumulative and require a recap of the entire semester. This isn’t easy, but I’ve found that the most helpful tactic for me is to move to a designated place while studying – one that is comfortable, but not too relaxing.

This is because, while a place like the desk in my room makes for a good workstation, it is too easy to get distracted, and I need an assigned place where I can be most productive. For me, this is my kitchen table. I chose this spot because I can take breaks without getting distracted, and if I’m writing, I can read aloud what I’m working on to anyone who passes by for immediate feedback.

Professor Janice Petit-Sollenberger also recommends the use of flashcards, as they are an effective tool for retaining information.

“In my experience with my students, I’ve found if they take a study guide and write down a definition for each term [on flash cards], they will be very successful,” Petit-Sollenberger said.

I hope this updated information will help anyone who needs to get a headstart on preparing for their finals. The topics I have listed may seem small but will go a long way and have helped me numerous times. Good luck, everyone.