The arrival of the new ECC Deputy Chief

Auden Hattendorf

Deputy Chief Craig Campbell recently began working for the ECC Police Department

Auden Hattendorf, Staff Writer

If you’ve been a student at Elgin Community College, you’ve more than likely had an interaction with a member of our police force stationed on campus at some point during your education. After speaking with a few students, it’s evident that the department has made an impression on the student body.

“I was driving [through] the parking lot [when] somebody backed out of their parking space and backed into the side of my car,” recalls Laina Schmidt, a second-year student at ECC. “[An officer] basically reported stuff I was saying and where it was in the parking lot. He went out with me to see the damage to my car. He was helpful.”

And now, a fresh face has joined the ECC police department: Deputy Chief Craig Campbell. Although new to ECC, Campbell is no stranger to the job. He has been an officer for 21 years, but a member of law enforcement for 23.

“My path to law enforcement was interesting,” Campbell said when prompted about the start of his career. “Initially, I was going to go to law school and had even put a deposit down to attend law school at Chicago Kent College of Law. Fortunately for me, I did my internship with the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, where I experienced a couple of calls that immediately altered my career path.”

The calls that changed his mind about his future were a quick-thinking detective who dealt with an undercover drug bust and an up-close investigation in homicide. While his college plans didn’t exactly turn out the way he had originally anticipated, it still led him in the direction of his true passion.

“For me, college did exactly what I hoped it would,” Campbell said. “It led me to the profession that fit me perfectly.”

As for coming to ECC, he talks about the relationship he strives to create between the police department and the students.

“I applied for the Deputy Chief’s position here because I had heard great things about the police department, and I knew that the chief was working towards building a positive relationship with the students and faculty at the college,” Campbell said. “It’s nice to be in a police department where one of our main objectives is to collaborate with the staff and students at ECC to foster a great learning environment.”

As a member of the police department at ECC, Campbell must be ready to fulfill the duties that come with being an officer on campus. Those duties include valuing the protection and safety of students, faculty and those who visit on ECC’s campus. But for Campbell, being Deputy Chief means he has a few more responsibilities than his fellow officers.

“In my position as Deputy Chief, I am also responsible for the schedule, training, policy review and assisting Chief Kintz in collaborating with other departments at ECC,” he said. “We are all working in unison to provide a safe learning environment for ECC students.”

When asked about his expectations for his future here at ECC as Deputy Chief, Campbell spoke brightly of finding enjoyment in his job and of encouraging others to aspire to do the same.

“After 23 years I’ve seen the good, the bad and the really bad,” Campbell said. “If my first three weeks are any indication, then I expect I will see mostly good here at ECC. I always encourage young people to find something they love to do and make a career out of it. I found my career 23 years ago, and now, I think I have found the perfect place to work as well; it’s a win-win for me.”