ECC men’s and women’s basketball teams seasons’ end

Lance Lagoni

ECC second-year student, Jonathan Flynn goes for a block during Region IV Semifinal game on Feb. 23.

Ethan Wiles, Staff Writer

lance lagoni
ECC second-year student, Maggie Goad  attempts to get past defender during Region IV Semifinal game against Madison College on Feb. 23.

The Elgin Community College men’s and women’s basketball teams seasons ended last week in the regional round of the NJCAA tournament.

The men’s team lost to Rock Valley College 85-68, ending their season with a record of 25-7. Rock Valley took a 46-39 lead into halftime, and the Spartans couldn’t manage a comeback, as they were outscored 39-29 in the second half. Second-year student Fred Greer led the way with 25 points. The Spartans finished sixth in points in division three this season. Eight players will be leaving the team this year once they graduate. The outlook is bright, however, as six players will be returning. All six have had the chance to play this season.

“It’s not the way we wanted our season to end,” said Michael Kalusa, a first-year student. “It happens sometimes in sports like this. It just means we have to work hard during the off-season and get better for next year.”

The Lady Spartans’ season also ended at the hands of Rock Valley College as they lost 68-63. They finished with a record of 23-9. Rock Valley came out strong outscoring the Lady Spartans 25-13 in the first quarter. The Lady Spartans made a strong comeback with 44-41 at the start of the fourth quarter, but Rock Valley pulled away for a 68-63 victory. The game was pushed back from Sunday to Monday night due to a power outage at Harper College.

“I think we were ready to play on Sunday,” said head coach Jerry McLaughlin. “We needed to beat them in the first quarter, and we didn’t do that.”

Second-year student Rachel Dumoulin finished with 22 points and 13 rebounds.

“Our team had great players,” Dumoulin said. “It was a pleasure getting to play with them this year.”

The Lady Spartans have seven graduating players this season and are returning four to the roster next year.

“We are working hard to get players from the local high schools,” McLaughlin said. “If we have ten players next season, I think we will be good.”