ECC men’s baseball looks to finish strong after difficult season

Clay+Milas+escapes+the+tag+as+he+slides+into+second+base.+The+Spartans+outscored+the+Praire+State+Pioneers+54-9+during+an+April+19-20+two-game+series.+

Lance Lagoni

Clay Milas escapes the tag as he slides into second base. The Spartans outscored the Praire State Pioneers 54-9 during an April 19-20 two-game series.

Ethan Wiles, Staff Writer

The Elgin Community College baseball team is wrapping up its season. As of May 5, their record is 10-38.

“We have had a tough year with injuries and weather,” ECC Men’s Baseball Head Coach Bill Angelo said. “It has been difficult to get any traction going in the right direction.”

The weather has not been kind to the Spartans this season, with four of their games postponed due to weather. One bright spot for the Spartans was a series against Prairie State College on April 19-20. In that series, the offense came alive,  outscoring their opponent 54-9.

“We have had a lot of adversity this season,” second-year student Joe Amore said. “We are doing our best with what comes our way.”

The Spartans earned their eighth win on April 25 against the Rock Valley Community College Golden Eagles, 5-3. On May 3, they split a doubleheader against Moraine Valley Community College, winning their ninth game of the season, 2-1, and losing another low-scoring game, 1-0.

“We have had our ups and downs just like any team does,” first-year student Jack Molenhouse said. “We are continuing to move forward and stick together as a team.”

As they enter the final week of the season and the postseason, the team is looking to finish strong.  

“We are hoping our best baseball is in front of us and we can make some noise in the postseason,” Angelo said.