Lady Spartans basketball eyes next season

Alejandro Santoyo, Staff Reporter

The Lady Spartans concluded their season on Feb. 18 with a loss to Morton College. The all freshman Lady Spartans ended the regular season with a record of 3-21.

According to members of the team, their chemistry seemed to be a factor that improved from the start of the season.

“If you have seen us since the beginning, you would see that we as a team improved so much,” said guard Takara Campbell.  “In the beginning, it felt like everyone was playing for themselves. As the season went on we were playing as team. We were passing more and getting more open shots.”

Ariann Franco, a guard on the team, agreed.

“Meeting new girls and playing with new girls…the connection is not going to be there,” Franco said. “We definitely learned about ourselves as the season went on, and a connection started between us. We started communicating more and hype each other up.”

Looking ahead to next year, Trinity Reyes, a guard on the team, hopes to use this season’s lessons as advantage for next season.

“I’m really excited to see how next season goes,” Reyes said. “Since we’ve been here already for a year, I’m looking forward to freshman coming in and being able to teach them what we learn from this season.”

Mental toughness is one attribute the team should focus on.

“Definitely more confidence…I know I can do it, but I just want to leave everything out there on the court and leave the game with no regrets,” Franco said.

Reyes agreed.

“[And] mental toughness, especially when I miss a shot and sometimes effects how I play the rest of the game,” Reyes said.

Confidence is another attribute that the team looks forward to improving.

“I feel like for any sport your confidence is the most important factor. I feel like for athletes, we got to make sure we continue doing what makes us feel good to keep ourselves motivated,” Campbell said.