• Newly elected Seth Hernandez, 2024- 25 Sudent Body President

News

Fresh faces to lead 2024-25 Student Government Cabinet

• New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

News

New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

• ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

News

ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

• Estudiante accediendo al sitio web FAFSA.gov el 20 de marzo de 2024.

News

Students face challenges amidst ‘A Better FAFSA Process’

• Angela Tovar and Shayndel Valles at the ACP Spring Conference in San Diego.

News

The Observer wins national awards at ACP Spring Conference

• Matthew Bishop and Alberto Mantovano

Human Interest

A Very Deep Goodbye for Matthew Bishop

• The hours for the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at ECC in Building B.

News

What is FAFSA? Financial Aid Overview

• The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and TRIO Office at ECC in Building B.

News

New FAFSA form available for 2024-2025 school year

• Student Life Coordinator Gaea Atta Moy works from her office at ECC.

News

New Law Guarantees Paid Time Off for All Illinois Residents

• ECC hosts early voting for Kane County residents March 5-6 outside of Building B.

News

Early Voting Underway

The Student News Site of Elgin Community College

Observer

Observer

Observer

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Bill Angelo is entering his 27th season as ECC’s baseball head coach. He has had nearly 820 wins since...

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

ECC Takes Down Waubonsee in First Conference Face off

Jonathan Villagomez
3rd baseman Daniel Blickhan throws the ball to 1st base

The Spartans found their way to victory as they beat Waubonsee Community College 6-3 at the Spartan Baseball Field on Saturday April 06, 2024.

The team got off to a good start as pitcher Drew Piaskowy had 2 strikeouts to start the game. In terms of offense, it got off to a slow start as the team scored 0 runs in the 1st inning.

In the 2nd inning, the team began their scoring as First Baseman/Catcher Jack Kerno put out the 1st run of the game which made it 1-0 ECC. First baseman/Outfielder Patrick Nelson scored the second run of the game which made it 2-0.

The Spartans got the scoring momentum going as they put 6 runs to end the game. For batting, the team managed to put 4 hits, 5 RBIs, 12 walks. The pitching staff puts on a terrific performance as Drew Piaskowy shutout out 6 batters within 6 innings. Pitcher Noah Schlup stepped up in the 7th inning to finish the game.

The team is now 8-11 and record their 1st conference win of the season. Head coach Bill Angelo and First Baseman/Outfielder Patrick Nelson gave their thoughts on the game.

“We did a really nice job of trying to score. We answered back. Thought we did a nice job playing defense. Made the plays that we needed to make. Gave our pitchers a chance. Drew was good. He was in the zone,”  said Coach Bill Angelo.

Angelo describes the team’s strategy to put out 6 runs  “Get em on, get it over, get em in. Runs weren’t easy to come by last game so hopefully we get to score a little bit easily in this game and give ourselves a little bit more breathing room.”

Spartrans First Baseman/Outfielder Patrick Nelson gave his thoughts on the team’s performance. “It’s good. We bounce back every time they score. Overall, it’s good. Pitching did well.”

He gave an analysis on his performance which is “It was good. Could’ve been better. My first AB was rough. Staying the ball well. 2nd AB, I hit a double.”

When it comes to slugging, he explained how he stays consistent. According to him, he said,  “Honestly during practice, just gotta keep playing in and take days off. You just gotta have a mind and know what pitch is coming.”

Nelson gave his thoughts on the team’s goal when it comes to slugging. “Can’t be swinging at bad pitches, gotta be swinging at your pitch until you want to find one pitch, your pitch and then once you get to two strikes, you have to expand your zone.”

The Spartans will face off against Waubonsee Community College in game 2 of the doubleheader.