• Newly elected Seth Hernandez, 2024- 25 Sudent Body President

News

Fresh faces to lead 2024-25 Student Government Cabinet

• New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

News

New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

• ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

News

ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

• Estudiante accediendo al sitio web FAFSA.gov el 20 de marzo de 2024.

News

Students face challenges amidst ‘A Better FAFSA Process’

• Angela Tovar and Shayndel Valles at the ACP Spring Conference in San Diego.

News

The Observer wins national awards at ACP Spring Conference

• Matthew Bishop and Alberto Mantovano

Human Interest

A Very Deep Goodbye for Matthew Bishop

• The hours for the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at ECC in Building B.

News

What is FAFSA? Financial Aid Overview

• The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and TRIO Office at ECC in Building B.

News

New FAFSA form available for 2024-2025 school year

• Student Life Coordinator Gaea Atta Moy works from her office at ECC.

News

New Law Guarantees Paid Time Off for All Illinois Residents

• ECC hosts early voting for Kane County residents March 5-6 outside of Building B.

News

Early Voting Underway

The Student News Site of Elgin Community College

Observer

Observer

Observer

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Bill Angelo is entering his 27th season as ECC’s baseball head coach. He has had nearly 820 wins since...

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Spartans Defeated Moraine Valley in Doubleheader

The Spartans got off to a great start as they beat Moraine Valley Community College 15-4 at the Spartan Baseball Field in game 1 of the doubleheader on April 27. 

The team got off to a good start as first baseman/catcher Jack Kerno put out the first hit of the game in right field. The Spartans put out 4 runs in the 1st inning. 

The team continued their great start as they put out 7 runs in the 2nd inning but they cooled off a little bit as they scored 0 runs in the 3rd inning. 

First baseman/outfielder Patrick Nelson put out a home run in center field to end the game in 5 innings. 

In terms of pitching, pitcher Lucas Aguirre had a great performance as he shut out 3 batters within 4 innings.

After the game, coach Bill Angelo and shortstop/second baseman Chris Lara gave their thoughts about the game.

Coach Angelo responded to a question regarding the team’s performance in this game. According to him, he said “The team performed well. We had an approach of not trying to do too much. Offensively, we’re doing well”. 

Also, he explained why the team cooled off in the 3rd inning. His response was “You know it’s just baseball. It’s not an easy game so you gotta stick with the process, keep having good at bats”. 

Coach Angelo is confident that the team will finish the season with a good record. According to him, he said “That’s the plan. We gotta keep playing one pitch at a time, one inning at a time, one game at the team and see what happens”. 

Lara responded to a question regarding the team’s confidence coming into this game. According to him, he said “I would say the team feels confident, especially coming off a little win. Mchenry game really turned us around with our mindsets”. 

He described the team’s strategy to put out 11 runs in the first 2 innings. He responded “Strategy stays the same with every inning. It’s just to get the first couple of guys on”. 

Also, he explained the team’s consistency at the plate during the game. According to him, he said “We fell short about the 3rd inning when they gave us a zero. We came back and put up more”.

Lara is confident that the team will finish the season above .500. His response was “I would definitely say .500. Maybe like .700”. 

He explained the toughest part to hit a home run in their home field. According to him, he said “For me, I would say the right field fence because I’m not good at opposite hitting”. 

The Spartans beat Moraine Valley Community College 15-6 in game 2 of the doubleheader.