• Newly elected Seth Hernandez, 2024- 25 Sudent Body President

News

Fresh faces to lead 2024-25 Student Government Cabinet

• New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

News

New Law Legalizes Air Fresheners and Fuzzy Dice for Illinois Drivers

• ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

News

ECC Plans to Unveil New Mascot

• Estudiante accediendo al sitio web FAFSA.gov el 20 de marzo de 2024.

News

Students face challenges amidst ‘A Better FAFSA Process’

• Angela Tovar and Shayndel Valles at the ACP Spring Conference in San Diego.

News

The Observer wins national awards at ACP Spring Conference

• Matthew Bishop and Alberto Mantovano

Human Interest

A Very Deep Goodbye for Matthew Bishop

• The hours for the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office at ECC in Building B.

News

What is FAFSA? Financial Aid Overview

• The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office and TRIO Office at ECC in Building B.

News

New FAFSA form available for 2024-2025 school year

• Student Life Coordinator Gaea Atta Moy works from her office at ECC.

News

New Law Guarantees Paid Time Off for All Illinois Residents

• ECC hosts early voting for Kane County residents March 5-6 outside of Building B.

News

Early Voting Underway

The Student News Site of Elgin Community College

Observer

Observer

Observer

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Bill Angelo is entering his 27th season as ECC’s baseball head coach. He has had nearly 820 wins since...

Coach Bill Angelo
ECC Baseball Coach Nears 30th Season

Spartans vs Olive-Harvey in Doubleheader

The Spartans got off to a rough start as they beat Olive-Harvey College 14-4 in game 1 of the doubleheader at the Spartan Baseball Field on April 19. 

The team got off to a rough start as they put out 0 runs in the 1st inning. Also, the defense committed two errors in that same inning. 

In the bottom of the 2nd inning, the team starts to gain momentum as they put out 4 runs in that inning. In the same inning, infielder Andrew Flynn put out the first hit of the game. 

In terms of pitching, pitcher Troy Petty got off to a good start as he shutout two batters in the first three innings. Unfortunately, he injured his right arm during the top of the 3rd inning so he had to leave the game. 

For offense, the team put out three home runs in the game. First baseman/outfielder Patrick Nelson put out the first home run of the game in right center field in the bottom of the 2nd inning. 

In the 3rd inning, outfielder Charlie Jury put out a grand slam which made it 8-3 Spartans. First baseman/catcher Jack Kerno put out the third home run of the game in the bottom of the 4th inning. 

During postgame, coach Bill Angelo and first baseman/catcher Jack Kerno gave their thoughts on the game. 

Coach Bill Angelo responded to a question regarding the team’s performance in that game. According to him, he said “We started off shaky in that 1st inning. We’re able to put some runs on the board and take control of the game”. 

Also, he gave his thoughts on the possibility of the team finishing the season strong. He said “We definitely are going to. These guys are really playing good baseball. They’re playing together. Playing for each other”.

First baseman/catcher Jack Kerno gave his thoughts about the game. According to him, he said “We played well as a team. We struggled in the bottom of the 1st inning but then after that, we kinda started rolling as a team”.

He responded to a question regarding the windy conditions that the team played in this game. His response was “It plays to our advantage and disadvantage”. 

Also, he explained the team’s strategy to put out 4 runs in the 2nd inning. According to him, he said “Actually, this is the inning where Pat hit a leadoff home run. That gained our momentum but after that, we started having long ABs, seeing pitches, trying to work counts up so the pitcher has to throw more pitches”. 

Lastly, he gave an explanation on how the team stays focused after making errors. His response was “After making an error, just flush it. Don’t think about it and make the next play because the ball is gonna come back to you at some point”. 

The team beats Olive-Harvey College 11-10 in game 2 of the doubleheader.