Understanding the dynamics of fear

Elizabeth Anton, Staff Writer

The sound of panting becomes louder and more intense as it fills the spectator’s ears, footsteps echoing along the wooden floor, growing closer. The bloodied, exhausted victim on the screen is filled with tension, their stomach having already done multiple cartwheels of anxiety. The suspense of their potential death making the viewer’s adrenaline spike with excitement. The camera pans over, revealing the iconic murderer, machete in hand, nearly standing next to the victim who is desperately trying to become quiet.

This scene is famous among horror movies, as it exists practically in every single one, molded to fit each story with the slightest of differences.

So why do we horror fanatics love this type of scene? They’re about to be killed! Yet, we’re excited.

Maybe you actually are scared and would rather hide somewhere safe, as if the killer is real and can get to you. You still watched it. Why did you do that?

Strangest of all, most of these killers are glorified and loved by many fans. Brutal villains such as Jason Voorhees, Jigsaw, Chucky, and Freddy Krueger. Oh, and don’t forget the famous ghost mom Kayako Saeki (“The Grudge”) and ghost girl Samara Morgan (“The Ring”).

So I posed the question “Do you enjoy being scared?” to several people, and in most cases, the answer was yes.

Raul Arroyo, a student of Elgin Community College, claims that the “little noises” is what scares him most, as the ambiance in a horror film suggests suspense, which is a thrilling feeling in itself.

Another student of ECC, Rachael Heite said, “The idea of horror appeals to the darker side of humanity. It differs from the good things of everyday life.” This could mean that what we feel is pure, natural instinct and that as humanity stands, the desire will never be removed.

Not everyone answers “yes”, however. Rachael Stewart, an English instructor at ECC, said “I’ve had enough real fear and violence in my life that I don’t find it [horror] entertaining.” This is understandable though, as most people probably haven’t faced real-life horror, making it much easier to enjoy watching it. Whereas those who have experienced it, like Stewart, will only be reminded of an unpleasant time in their life.

Overall, there is no clean cut answer. It could be argued that it depends from one person to the next, and the environment they grew up in. It could also be argued that it truly is so innate in our human psyche that most of us just can’t resist.

I feel the desire to be scared is something much more meaningful than some warped and morbid pleasure. When we feel fear, based on reality or illusion, it is because we feel threatened. It is linked with our “fight or flight” response, and it reminds us that we are alive. It reminds us that we still have something to protect, even if it may not be ourselves. We’ve just taken it a step further and created entertainment off it, leaving the importance of fear in the shadows.

When I was little, I’d scream and hide like most people. Yet I’d still watch those horror movies and play horror games because something made me want to see it. I loved it!

Eventually, my adoration allowed me to become desensitized. The most scared I get now is a jump in heart rate from the rarely good jump-scares that certain directors and developers can pull off. I’m usually pretty calm, but maybe once in awhile, I’ll giggle because the monster looks funny, like the one in “Amnesia”. I digress.

Even though I can explain fear in its importance, I still have yet to find an answer as to why, at the very least, a percentage of humanity craves it.

All I can really say is that I believe the feeling of fear should be appreciated by everyone, even if you’re the type of person who can’t stand to see anything horror themed.

After all, we wouldn’t be human if we didn’t know fear.