The importance of “allies” in the LGBT community

Lisa Lilianstrom, Staff Writer

The lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning/queer (LGBT) community has fought against prejudice for decades. The LGBT community, now, has rights, including same-sex couple’s ability to do the same things that heterosexual couples have always been able to do.  Same-sex marriage has been legalized, discrimination based on sexual orientation is now outlawed, “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” repealed, and so much more.

Through all these obstacles, some help has been along the way, from people outside of the LGBT community. Those that support the rights of the LGBT community are known as “allies.” Allies are a very significant part of the push for equality. Allies are primarily heterosexual and cisgender people that support the community and challenge homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia.

For second-year student and Students Who Are Not Silent (SWANS) chair, Brandy Kaminsky, she believes that we all need to be advocates for the community because there is so much more strength in numbers.

“We need to be an advocate for what we believe in, us believing in the LGBT community helps motivate and empower them because now they would not only have support from the community but allies as well. We are powerful in numbers so getting involved in social and political movements would further help,” said Kaminsky.

As for myself, I have been an ally for as long as I have known the term LGBT. In my opinion, it makes me mad that while I am able to hold my boyfriend’s hand in public and nobody says anything, however, if two guys or two girls do it they are called names and sometimes even threatened.

I am dedicated to fighting for the rights of the LGBT community. Working hard to spread awareness and educating people who are close-minded. Although, we are not labeled in the community we know people who are.

“As an ally, even though you are not labeled within the LGBTQIA+ community, your friends are, your family is, etc. Be supportive of the people in your life that are apart of the community, and make an effort to show that you support them,” said SWANS’ secretary, Avery Johanson.

For Kaminksy she wanted to support a right of love that everyone should have a right to.

“I wanted to support a fundamental right to love. I love my boyfriend so why can’t someone else love theirs?” said Kaminsky.

Elgin Community College currently offers Safe Zone Training for faculty members and students. Safe Zone Training helps give the LGBT community students on campus, someone that they can talk to without judgment. The next Safe Zone Training will be on November 14 from 3-4 in C120. If interested, please contact Wellness Professional Vinny Casico about Safe Zone Training.

Allies are a very important part of the community, everyone deserves a wonderful and successful life, who is to say they can’t have an amazing life. One of the most important things about being an ally is always having an open mind.

“Keep an open mind as an ally and be kind to those around you. Kindness goes a long way, and it literally costs you nothing. Be as welcoming as you can be with those around you who are LGBTQIA+ because they are human too,” said Johanson.