Transcending Into History

Lisa Lilianstrom, Staff Writer

March is Women’s History Month and is often a month where we recognize the accomplishments of women through history. However, there is a group of women that have been left out until very recently, and that group is transgender women.

Being someone who has gotten to know and become friends with many people in the community, I think that this is a huge step. Growing up I didn’t really know a lot about the LGBTQ+ community until high school, and I didn’t really know what transgenderism was either until I watched an episode of America’s Next Top Model where one of the contestants was transgender.

That model’s name is Isis King, she didn’t make it too far in the competition but she still made history as the first transgender contestant on the show.

It has been noted that when the Women’s March happened transgender women were left out of the mix. I have read a few opinions on the march and it was noted that there was not much support directed towards trans women, women of color, disabled women, basically women who are marginalized already. I even saw a sign on the internet that was at the Women’s March saying that “Transwomen are Men”

Why should they say they support all women when some groups of women are left out. Did you know that trans women, especially those of color are killed at an alarming rate? Sadly that is not shown much in the mainstream media, I have learned about the deaths of those women from Transgender Day of Remembrance.

I have met many transgender people since I came to ECC and yes they were the first transgender people that I have met, but I am learning more about them every day, what they go through, what their dreams and goals are, what they like, I always learn something.

What is cool is that ECC has events for Women’s History Month and this is the first year that there was an event about the accomplishments of Transgender Women, it was called “Transcend: The Accomplishments of Transgender Women” I am glad that they are finally getting the recognition that they deserve.

What we should do not only in March but every month is honor women from all walks of life, all colors, all religions, all abilities, all genders, just honor them, this is a month for all women, and that includes trans women too.